Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first tunic, a few general questions.

Article about: Hi Fellas, I'm thinking of getting my first authentic tunic, and I think I've found a very nice piece. I have no worries about it's authenticity as it has been throughly vouched on another f

?

Default My first tunic, a few general questions.

Hi Fellas,
    I'm thinking of getting my first authentic tunic, and I think I've found a very nice piece. I have no worries about it's authenticity as it has been throughly vouched on another forum, I just have a few questions, some about the tunic itself and some about the rank of Oberfeldwebel.
    1. How common are these Russian cloth tunics?
    2. How many men would an Oberfeldwebel be in charge of? Is this an authoritative rank?
    3. I have two (repro) uniforms made out of authentic Zeltbahns already, if I get this one would I have a full set of Zeltbahn uniforms?
    4. Is this a loop for a long ribbon bar or a close combat badge on this piece?
    5. This tunic is a fieldworn example and was intended as such? Not as a walking out tunic? The Krim shield would have been worn at all times?
    6. As a NCO this gentleman would have earned his Oberfeldwebel rank by starting at the bottom and gradually distinguishing himself?
    7. Given the chaotic nature of the Eastern front in terms of high officer mortality rates, might an Oberfeldwebel have had duties above his technical rank?

If any of you gentlemen can answer even one of my longwinded questions, thank you!
    Best,
    Eddie

My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first tunic, a few general questions.
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first tunic, a few general questions.

1. How common are these Russian cloth tunics?
    2. How many men would an Oberfeldwebel be in charge of? Is this an authoritative rank?
    platoon leader
    3. I have two (repro) uniforms made out of authentic Zeltbahns already, if I get this one would I have a full set of Zeltbahn uniforms?
    ???
    4. Is this a loop for a long ribbon bar or a close combat badge on this piece?
    it looks more like a long ribbon bar to long for a close combat
    5. This tunic is a fieldworn example and was intended as such? Not as a walking out tunic? The Krim shield would have been worn at all times?
    don't know..
    6. As a NCO this gentleman would have earned his Oberfeldwebel rank by starting at the bottom and gradually distinguishing himself?
    could start off as a nco
    7. Given the chaotic nature of the Eastern front in terms of high officer mortality rates, might an Oberfeldwebel have had duties above his technical rank?
    probably occasionally taking charge until a replacement officer

hope it helps

Why does one photo show a breast eagle and the other photo not?

?

Hi Glenn,
    the insignia was found in the pocket, and hasn't been sewn back on yet.

?

Thanks for the reply Tom and Glenn, and here's some more pics.

My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.My first tunic, a few general questions.

Hi Eddie, the Krim shield would have been worn at all times. It is a decoration.

I would say the two loops are for a ribbon bar as they are only just above the pocket.

A senior NCO would have worked his way up through the ranks in most cases.

The privately made summer weight tunics are not rare but are nice to own. Typically for senior NCO's and Officers only.

There is a conflict of waffenfarbe between the shoulder straps and the litzen.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for dilligently answering all my questions Ade, I appreciate it! Would you be able to explain in greater detail the waffenfarbe issue? The Litzen show Gebirgsjäger and the shoulder straps show administration? Is that correct?
    Thanks,
    Eddie

Hi Eddie, the Litzen are piped green, while the shoulder straps are Infantry white piped. So you need a new set of shoulder straps.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade, I thought the litzen were the 1st pattern Generic type woven in green for all arms of service, rather than the green for Jager units. The 2nd pattern has a more brownish tint to the backing, called mouse grey whilst these have the blue grey backing first introduced in 1939 -though not adopted by all, with many wearing service coloured types throughout the war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Good point Jerry ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast