Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help with Uniform ID

Article about: Hello. I have been offered this tunic (M36)?? and 2 pair of trousers. Although I have not dealt with uniforms I am interested in these items. I have pesonally viewed the items and they are i

?

Default Need Help with Uniform ID

Hello. I have been offered this tunic (M36)?? and 2 pair of trousers. Although I have not dealt with uniforms I am interested in these items. I have pesonally viewed the items and they are in extremely fine condition. These were some pictures sent to me as I was unprepared at the time I saw them to take photos. I do not know if there is enough here for ID and will post more pics when I can get them. The folded over trousers appear to mate with the tunic. The other trouser picture is of another pair and I dont know if there is enough to ID. Any help with identification or ballpark figure value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help with Uniform ID
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Help with Uniform ID

Heer Hauptmann's M36 tunic for Infanterie Regt 71. The tunic appears to be an upgraded enlisted mans tunic. More pics, with internal shots would confirm this.

Nice original set of items.

Cheers, Ade.

I 2nd Ade!
    Cheers
    Manny

?

Thanks for the info. Picked these up today. Hope these new pics can validate. I believe 1 pair of trousers is the correct match to the tunic? Any ideas on the other? Any info is greatly appreciated.Attachment 198479Attachment 198478Attachment 198477Attachment 198476Attachment 198480Attachment 198481Attachment 198482

Hi, the tunic is an enlisted mans upgrade as I suspected. Officers had the option to buy an issue tunic from the stores in order to save wearing a tailor made item in the field, plus it made them stand out a little less. Nice item.

All the breeches are fine. Cut and colour did vary a lot as these were private purchase items. They were worn as "mix and match" and the colour did not have to be the same as the tunic.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the info. Picked up this lot with some other items field phones, armbands etc. The previous owner also has the boots which they are still looking for. The house was scheduled for demo before they purchased it and items are currently scattered, just glad to have saved these items. I have looked for realistic pricing on these for my own personal reference. I dont take book or internet prices too seriously and am curious on the realistic value of these items. Does anyone have some ballpark figures that I can assign to each? Once again thanks for your help.

Catfan,
    an M35/36/40/41 tunic would demand quite a premium price if untounched but in your case it would be difficult to say how much it would be worth,since we'll never know for sure whether it's a period upgrade to officer's tunic or a recent put-together...it's a genuine tunic for sure and the breeches are period too!
    HTH
    Manny

?

I totally understand the suspicion one must have today when it comes to authenticating certain items. You would have to understand the circumstances of this house and its contents to further validate the belongings. I do have the sons name (John Gehant) which could connect the father to the uniform. Are there any references out there to research and place the father with 71st Infantry Regt?

Quote by catfan View Post
    I totally understand the suspicion one must have today when it comes to authenticating certain items. You would have to understand the circumstances of this house and its contents to further validate the belongings. I do have the sons name (John Gehant) which could connect the father to the uniform. Are there any references out there to research and place the father with 71st Infantry Regt?
    If you can demonstrate that the tunic's been upgraded during the war (pictures of the tunic worn by the owner would be ok!) then its value would be just about the same as a private/NCO tunic,to a collector that likes Officer's tunics, of course.
    Do you live in Germany?Is Mr. Gehant a former WH Officer?What about the house?I understand it may sound like a "third degree" but the more info the better in such cases!

Without evidence in case of a resale you'd be faced with the old saying "Buy the item,not the story" and the buyer would be willing to pay much less than he would an untouched tunic.
    Don't want to bash your tunic,mind you,for it's a very,very nice one,but to me the mods detract to its sheer value...other would be glad to pay a premium if the tunic would come with pictures of the owner wearing it.It all depends on who are you selling this tunic (in case of a resale,of course!).
    Cheers
    Manny

?

Thanks Manny. I understand fully needing all the evidence possible to verify the items not just a story, a little detective work is just as exciting as digging up the treasures themselves. There is a field manual/diary of daily writings that may turn up that should help to authenticate. I have heard nothing of pictures. The tunic is not for sale. I collect helmets but have picked up various items along the way and was just curious as of its value. I dont put alot into book values or internet sales prices as they are usually more than the market can bear.