Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New addition: officer's leather overcoat

Article about: It's stunning mate. I'm still banging my head on the wall for not taking it. At least it has gone to a loving home

Default Re: New addition: officer's leather overcoat

It's stunning mate. I'm still banging my head on the wall for not taking it.
    At least it has gone to a loving home
    Attached Images Attached Images New addition: officer's leather overcoat 
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New addition: officer's leather overcoat
    P
    Many

?

Back on the subject of leather coats...
    What's the opinion on this one? It has a dagger hanger and the lining looks very similar to mine but I haven't seen the zig-zag stitching on the collar on a leather coat before. Seems a little like it's over-egging the omelette somewhat. The seller says it has the name "Astor Gloria Gutos" inside the coat.

Robbie

This coat is lovely!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

So you think this is the real deal?

Robbie

Moi? I wouldn´t know, my friend, I´m just saying it is lovely
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Hello folks.
    The first leather coat in this thread is a lovely military model, bought from the officers "kleiderkasse".
    The second coat is a 100% civilian model.
    I have a very nice grey military coat in my collection, and I have owned a couple more. I have also done some research around these rare leather coats.
    As you might know, the german officers were responsible to buy their own uniforms, and there was a catalogue, where you could order the different uniforms from. These leather coats or the Ledermantel, is the single most expensive item in the entire catalogue. Here is a copy of a catalogue page from 1939-1940

Here are some pictures of the coat that I have in my collection:

Half of the left-hand french cuff has been left open, to accomondate maps or papers. This feature, I have noticed on most of the original leather coats that I've seen.

?

And without the belt. You will notice that these leather coats has the same cut and features as their military issue counterparts.

There is a daggerhanger on the inside

and a peak under the pocket-flap, where the dagger is suspended when worn:

Under the collar, there is a feature for winter-buttoning of the collar, to protect from cold wind rain and snow:

?

and at last we have the distinguishable map-pocket in the skirt, with zipper-closure:

Leather coats was very popular amongst the officers. In the next picture, we see a General, Major and a Leütnant, all three with leather coats:

....And even Hitler had one

Best Regards
    Björn

Hi guys. Just a question.
    The thread starter has a slit under the left pocket flap for a dagger. The hole does not appear to go through the lining. So how was the dagger attached?
    Attached Images Attached Images New addition: officer's leather overcoat 
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Hi mate a few things concern me with this coat. I think it may have been altered considerably if it was an officers coat. I can't see any holes for shoulder board buttons.And I remember reading somewhere on this forum something about officers having to display shoulder boards on leather greatcoats. the lining might be a post war replacement if you look at the early pictures on this thread you can not see the back of the removable buttons like on most other coats of this type. Also the picture of the Zip for the map pocket seems altered. I thought this might be a political coat until I seen the dagger slit .Now I'm just confused . No shoulder boards / dagger hanger slit. I'm just not 100% sure if this was a officers coat with lots of post war altercations or a political person of stature's coat bought from the kleiderkasse altered specific for them. Or a well off officer that used it for his day to day activity's and not on the field hence no evidence of shoulder boards . It is rather confusing .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast