MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

New addition: officer's leather overcoat

Article about: It's stunning mate. I'm still banging my head on the wall for not taking it. At least it has gone to a loving home

Hi Matthew. The coat lacks a collar hook and clasp plus the pebbled buttons which denotes is not a heer coat.
    It has French cuffs and the back strap which makes it IMO a military coat. Since it has the metal "fussball" buttons and not collar hook, clasp i would say it's a LW coat.
    The lack of shoulder board provisions is not a major problem as there are period pictures which prove this. It was a personal preference of the officer like Adolf Gallant in the picture below.
    Regarding the lining it could have been replaced as this would explain why the slit hole is not connecting with a hole on the lining, something that would be necessary to connect the dagger hangers on the leather hanging strap which is still there.
    The zip normally is marked and form the photo it looks not to be as such. This would indicate a replacement.
    New addition: officer's leather overcoat
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New addition: officer's leather overcoat
    P
    Many

leather hanging strap which is still there ?? I only haver seen the leather belt that helps hold the coat together. No dagger hanger strap Is it under the lining ?Oh wow I didn't know they did not have to use there shoulder boards . Do you know if this was the case all through the war ? just luftwaffe ? or was it something they always had a choice to do. I must try to find the thread I read that on ( they had to display shoulder boards) just go's to show not everyone is right on here about there info .....

Oh and don thanks for the info ... and what a great picture

Normally the dagger hanger was like the one shown in post#27 above. If that one was not available for any reason that leather hanging strap, which indeed was intended for adjusting the coat on the body, could do the job. At least this is what i know but i could be wrong of course. If there are no signs of a removed hanger on the lining then it must have been replaced (the lining) probably.
    Of course the normal practice was to have shoulder boards on the mantel but this was not always followed by some officers. Gladfully there are period pictures showing many abnormalities, not only in uniforms, that we collectors usually consider a no go. Check my avatar for instance. A waffen ss Schirmmütze with a skull but with a heer eagle. As i said regulations were not always followed strictly.

thanks don for the good info and wow I didn't notice that in your avatar ..

Quote by matthewtanner View Post
    Oh and don thanks for the info ... and what a great picture
    Oh and the credits for the picture goes to waf member NickG there is also a member here with the same username but i am not sure if he is the same person.

Ok now i got it in hand and the lining is not a replacement. Also the zipper is broken but original to the coat.
    Regarding the dagger hanger: i have discovered inside the lining a leather loop which is sewn right next to the hanging strap. I pulled it outside so that you can what i am talking about. So the hangers were going through the slit of the pocket, attaching to that leather small loop.
    Mystery solved
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New addition: officer's leather overcoat   New addition: officer's leather overcoat  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4