Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

No mark silver lw cap eagle

Article about: This adler seems like real silver, isn't magnetic and has good detail. No maker or silver mark. Is it real? Thanks a lot.

?

Default No mark silver lw cap eagle

This adler seems like real silver, isn't magnetic and has good detail. No maker or silver mark. Is it real? Thanks a lot.No mark silver lw cap eagleNo mark silver lw cap eagle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement No mark silver lw cap eagle
    P
    Many

Default Re: No mark silver lw cap eagle

Hi David, first off, I have never seen any Luftwaffe eagle with silver marks.

I strongly believe this one is fake: Material, pins and overall design.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

cast fake if you look at the eagles feet at the back theres flash all over it

Privately purchased silver jewelers made vanity piece for an officer? Seems awfully nicely made for a fakers bit. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

thanks men.

I've been wrong before (more times than I care to remember!) but I kind of like this bird so if it was mine I would just put it aside as "questionable box" but I sure wouldnt flush it until more evidence was available...

1) I see no silver markings on the back (eg 800) as often seen on copies so IMO this bird doesnt even try to claim to be silver. However I have seen nickel silver (german silver)stuff (depending on copper/nickel/zink ratios) or silvered tombac turn like silver over time.
    2) This bird doesnt look cast to me it looks stamped with a male and female dies (as witnessed by front & back images) with significant pressure and the typical slight edge seen on some earlier insignia (eg: 35/36 Heers cap insignia) to reinforce it due to the thinness? (not sure its a word in english) which are not typical of cast pieces. The flash behind the leg could be die wear but in this instance to me it almost looks deliberate to reinforce the leg that would otherwise be fragile
    3) The flat welded clips with angular tips are also typical for early cap insignia made of nickel, tombac, brass etc.
    4) Design is a bit weird for a second pattern eagle because of the eagle's pronounced "brow" commonly associated to first pattern (droop tail) eagles but is well detailed

So to me it looks like an early unusual 2nd pattern Luft cap eagle that has a chance

JC

?

thanks much, mickey - excellent points.