Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

'Officer's' leather coat or Heer overcoat?

Article about: These are two coats listed for sale on a website: Problem is, I can't decide whether to get the Heer coat or the leather 'Officer's' one. Which is a more desirable piece, do you all think? A

Default Re: 'Officer's' leather coat or Heer overcoat?

I'd go for the leather one myself. Most Leather coats were private purchase items (I have one here given to me by a old Luftwaffe Officer) and there can be many many variations on the theme, mine never had ANY facility for dagger-hanger........a lot depends on WHICH stage of the war it was made and the wearer's job and originally had pebbled-buttons.......but he changed them for leather covered ones (he did retain the pebbled ones though!). Leather coats are a gamble..........but these were from a military point of view...a "fashion" item.....so you have to be flexible. I do agree with Ade on the wool coat though.........I'd suspect it's being "up-sold" either intentionally or otherwise......but the crisp looking officer boards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Officer's' leather coat or Heer overcoat?
    P
    Many

Hi Mike, have you seen the belt loops on the back. This was posted while you were writing I suspect?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

They're infantry straps aren't they?

Ade - I've seen them now.....I'd still go for the leather one - I've seen this type before on originals. Mine has loops with Prym fastners on, but there was a HUGE variation. I've also seen one 100% genuine one - belonged to an Oberleutnant pilot.............that had bright red lining, so when he was strutting around the local town..........it added a bit of panache (I doubt very much he'd risk a parade in it though!).
    I'm STILL with the leather one........it just...."feels" right to me

?

The seller said the belt loops were added later, if it helps...?

Hi Robbie, sounds like he is too keen to make a sale for my tastes. Pass on it.

Hi Mike, I know these things vary, but I can very conservative when advising youngsters about spending money.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

if you were going to get any i would get the nco one then replace teh eppaulets but me personally would save up for one that hasn't been changed however it is after all your call

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Hi Mike, I know these things vary, but I can very conservative when advising youngsters about spending money.

Cheers, Ade.
    And we appreciate your caution in return!

Robbie, if this is for a display you could probably find a cheaper leather jacket on Ebay, and it doesn't seem like there is rock-solid provenance for what could just be Opa's old but nice leather coat. I really like things that are outside of the textbook too, but if you buy them you might end up questioning the piece, and in my limited experience that can spoil it. Wachmantels aren't hard to come by either, so you might want to pass on this one to get a more legit example for the same price.

?

Well, I suppose that makes sense. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll make sure all my purchases are reliable! I've come into a largish sum of money (for me) and I've been trying to decide what to splash out on. This was my latest consideration: Temporary KZ camp assignment tab

?

Just seen this: another coat for sale. What's people's opinions this time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast