Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Please help with info on German tunic

Article about: This is a tunic I inherited and i would like to know more about it. Thanks JH

?

Question Please help with info on German tunic

This is a tunic I inherited and i would like to know more about it. Thanks JH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help with info on German tunic   Please help with info on German tunic  

Please help with info on German tunic   Please help with info on German tunic  

Please help with info on German tunic   Please help with info on German tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help with info on German tunic
    P
    Many

Default Re: Please help with info on German tunic

Hi JH, what you have is a "Waffenrock". This is the pre war Heer parade/walking out dress tunic. It has been totally and utterly stripped of all insignia and collar facing. It could be restored, but this might not be economically viable.

A complete example can be seen here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...ffenrock-2660/

Cheers, Ade.

?

thank you for your reply Mr. Stevenson. I am happy to know a little more about the tunic. I suspect its not particularly valuable. What to do with it restore or leave alone? I dont know.

Please call me Ade

I would be hard pressed to estimate a value for this one? I think I would leave it "as is".

Cheers, Ade.

?

That is a converted parade tunic to Winterhilfswerk tunic, 3 category of supply, mostly Schuma units and volunteers
    I've seen them with pockets too.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

What Dimas has stated is correct. With the waffenrock no longer being made or issued and given the need for tunics for third line troops, these tunics were often stripped and reissued. Often pockets were added.

A postwar stripped down tunic can usually be determinded by the wear and fading to where the insignia once was.

Your tunic seems to have had the breast eagle insignia in place a long time judging by the dirt and fading until finally being removed. The addition of slip on shoulder strap loops may also indicate a conversion. Usually these tunics had sew in straps.

Cheers, Ade.

for info. acquired in the mists of time. this was obtained directly from the bloke who brought it back. mouse grey collar patches, mouse grey shirt breast eagle, o/r's field grey artillery shoulder straps. the coloured branch piping, jager/mountain troops what you will has been left on the bottom inside flap. tenner then, a bit more now, probably. all relatve though
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help with info on German tunic  

?

Question Re: Please help with info on German tunic

Thanks for the pic it helps me envision the tunic as it once was. So it was an outdated type parade tunic that was sometimes re issued to second line troops. What is meant by wintershilfe tunic?

?

Smile Re: Please help with info on German tunic

sorry what is meant by "Winterhilfswerk tunic, 3 category of supply" Thank you.

What Dimas means is that this was "third rate" kit reissued due to the pressing need for uniforms.

Winterhilfswerk: this was the Nazi winter releif charity. There was an appeal for people to donate clothing during the first Russian winter in 1941/42 as the troops were so badly kitted out.

Cheers, Ade.