MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Shoulder board questions...

Article about: Here are three examples of boards I see regularly. Branches and units don't really mean anything at this point. It's the mechanics of them that I have questions. Why is there four different

Default Shoulder board questions...

Here are three examples of boards I see regularly.
    Branches and units don't really mean anything at this point. It's the mechanics of them that I have questions.

Why is there four different ways to attach them, slip them on? Is there more ways?

Why is one of them cut off? Was it physically part of a coat or tunic? Or has the bottom loop strap been cut off?

Why is the backing to complete the board loop a thin strip on one and fat on another? Was this for conservation of material or another reason?

Why on the top exterior surface, some of the woven material is very shiny, and the the other very flat toned? Is it due to wear, or are these examples of different eras?

The pips are made from zinc? Aluminum? is there difference for years in the war? or is it by rank?

finally...Are these examples Third or Fourth Reich?

Thank you in advance

ScB.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shoulder board questions...   Shoulder board questions...  

Shoulder board questions...   Shoulder board questions...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shoulder board questions...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Shoulder board questions...

hmm...apparently I didn't do a very good job of keeping pictures in order...I hope you get the idea.

I'm not a expert on these, but i have talked to a vet before and he said that he cut them off sometimes .

From my understanding early war type Shoulder boards were sewn on or looped. I think they did away with sewing them on as war progressed.
    Late wars were looped.

Franz

All the items shown are good originals.

The Lt's one with the "T" shaped end (top left pic) would be worn on a white summer weight tunic. These were made to be easily removed for when the tunic was washed. These simply tucked into the open shoulder seam.

Officers boards could be purchased in bright silver wire for dress wear or dull wire for field service use.

Tongues could be broad on narrow on enlisted NCO's slip on type straps depending on date. By late war these became narrow to save materials. Officers boards would have narrow tongues.

Sew in type straps were found on the pre war Waffenrock dress tunic and on Officers tunics. These were let into the tunics shoulder seam. When being stolen from a uniform these would often be cut a little short, unless the shoulder seam was actually opened up to free the strap.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Rank pips were alloy pre and early war but later changed to zinc to save materials. This was regardless of the wearers rank.

That does help. Thanks