Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stalingrad cross found

Article about: Hi Doug, the old saying "Pearls before Swine" comes to mind...... Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Stalingrad cross found

Hi Doug, the old saying "Pearls before Swine" comes to mind......

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad cross found
    P
    Many

Fantastic cross Doug. I've got one that is not nearly that nice. Almost all the blue paint is gone on mine. Great pick-up!

Jay

Does yours have the green paint on the back and front background and not plated like mine or is it plated like the auction one or does it have the middle gold tone like the officers ones on W-A or some other combination? I'm thinking that there are a bunch of variations in the "textbook" example. Not to mention that there is a "variation" example discussed on W-A on top of the "Fake". I'm thinking way to many variations for a regimental. Perhaps there was way wider usage of these by others at various points for various reasons.

Each guy in the 134th Regiment was supposed to have a certain number of uniforms with shoulderboards and each one was supposed to have the cross. Well, during the course of the war this was reduced to the one on their back. So, basic issue of the crosses may of been a pile more that the guys in the regiment needed so they "gifted" the ones that they didn't need to others. Perhaps there was some war time "underground" buying of these to guys who were pissed off about Stalingrad from either the manufacturer or the guys in the 134th.

I'm thinking that there was a "Gold Toned" center one for the officers as well. I heard that the HQ staff of the 44th was flown out of Stalingrad to form the nucleus of a new division and those guys got the cross as well. Well, those guys perhaps had a bit of money or something and wanted the "Gold Tone" center to upgrade the cross for them. Who knows at this late date but just saying that there seems to be way more variations in these than just would seem to be warranted in a single regimental.

I have no specific knowledge about anything here. I just got this at a show from a guy that got this from a family member who passed as the only war souvenir he brought back for $25. Maybe mine is real and maybe not. Just saying that there are a lot of variations in this one here. Doug

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Fantastic cross Doug. I've got one that is not nearly that nice. Almost all the blue paint is gone on mine. Great pick-up!

Jay

Always learning, never seen this before. Great Forum....

No bids on the one at auction for 900 Pounds. Humm? Mine might be worth a little less? What do you guys think? Doug

Nothing else? Anybody. Doug

Come on guys? Doug

Hey

If any one is up for selling one I am looking for one. Thanks

Ive seen a couple on some Militaria sites and be prepared to spend loads of money. I don't remember what sites but-they were attached to officers boards. ANd yes, they at the time, were for sale as of late last week. Just look through the militaria dealers directory sites links and you will find it. Id post the info-I just cant remember what sites I saw them listed on-and yes-more than one site had some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2