Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap

Article about: Sweat stained and worn and when I compare to originals in Panzer Feldjacke and on line everything looks correct EXCEPT the markings do not look right to me. What other 'tells' am I missing?

Default THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap

Sweat stained and worn and when I compare to originals in Panzer Feldjacke and on line everything looks correct EXCEPT the markings do not look right to me. What other 'tells' am I missing? THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap
    P
    Many

For me the wool looks too fluffy to be original, but I could be wrong?

TWS
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    For me the wool looks too fluffy to be original, but I could be wrong?
    Agree. I'm concerned about several details and that is one of them. Not a fan of the apparent texture of the wool. Perhaps seeing it and touching it in hand might change my mind, but based on photos I'm not super high on the wool on this one.
    More:
    1. I also see the very inconsistent soiling as problematic. To me, it appears to be artificial soiling. I'd also like to inspect the lining material in hand as artificial silk would be more consistent with an RBN'd (later) wrapper.
    2. As the OP stated, the markings are fishy. I share his opinion. I'm not a fan of the font nor the minty crisp freshness and darkness of the stampings.
    3. The button application. I would be more comfortable if all of the buttons were applied with stitching in an "x" pattern. (Compare the small buttons with the large ones).
    4. Also not keen on the belt hook ramps and the tie strings. On earlier wrappers lining material for the ramps is fine, but I would look closely at a later war one (like this) that doesn't have them in webbing material. That's more of a comfort level thing, but it's what I am accustomed to in my experience.

If I pulled some of my wrappers out I might find more, but just going on this quick look I see yellow flags. Might turn into red if I was holding one of mine in hand. I'm tempted to call the stampings a red flag right now, but would open up the books before condemning them 100%.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

In the frontal shot, are the buttons buttoned? Another member astutely observed that the front panel seems to have the straight cut of the Waffen SS rather than the Heer cut, which has a slanted front panel.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

That is a fake. TWS pointed out the clues already, so I'll just show you photos of what a wrapper should look like with RB numbers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap   THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap  

THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap   THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap  

okie now I say it's real

Excellent, notes TWS, thank you.... adding two more pics. One of the wrap fully buttoned and another of a faint marking inside that I just saw.
    1. I also see the very inconsistent soiling as problematic. To me, it appears to be artificial soiling.
    * Not artificial soiling, could be reenactor sweat but it's real.
    I'd also like to inspect the lining material in hand as artificial silk would be more consistent with an RBN'd (later) wrapper.
    * Lining is what I would call a polished cotton, not artificial silk.
    2. As the OP stated, the markings are fishy. I share his opinion. I'm not a fan of the font nor the minty crisp freshness and darkness of the stampings.
    * Agreed, the biggest red flag to me is the markings. I did find another faded marking under the stamps but can't make it out.

It is a Janke copy. The colour of the lining and the font of the stamps is typical of their items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you for confirming my doubts!!
    Now, what does one do with such a thing LoL!
    I assume the insignia are bad as well?THoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrapTHoughts on a Panzer Assault Gunners wrap

The precise perfect RBN stamps are also a clue I always look for. In wartime factories little care was taken with stamping, it was quick and on to the next one. So poorly visible or partly visible marks are the norm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast