Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Tropical M42 Tunic

Article about: Hello Gent's, Any comments and opinions on this M42 Tunic will be much appreciated indeed Thank you It's all i have for now. Regards, Lars

Fred Green
    ?

Default Re: Tropical M42 Tunic

Hello,

It is not a problem with the sewing of the eagle, it was done correctly. What is not "Kosher" is a reproduction eagle sewn correctly to a tunic and then having the description say that is all original sewing. Having a piece of reproduction insignia "machine sewn" on anything is bad. That is the point.

Fred

2. # ADS

?

No problem Lars!
    Horrido - There are at least five period ways that tropical eagles were applied. In context for the type tunic we are looking at I could expect either the earlier 'traditional' application of machine/flipped/hand sewn or all machine sewn (both straight or zig-zag) around the outer edge then hand finished on the pocket flap...
    I am un-able to see the date on this 2nd pattern, which were manufactured from late 1941 through 1944, so eagle sewing styles were quite varied...
    Regards,
    Mark
    New Zealand

Quote by NZMark View Post
    No problem Lars!
    Horrido - There are at least five period ways that tropical eagles were applied. In context for the type tunic we are looking at I could expect either the earlier 'traditional' application of machine/flipped/hand sewn or all machine sewn (both straight or zig-zag) around the outer edge then hand finished on the pocket flap...
    I am un-able to see the date on this 2nd pattern, which were manufactured from late 1941 through 1944, so eagle sewing styles were quite varied...
    Regards,
    Mark
    New Zealand
    Mark,
    i mentioned BUT ONE of the varioius ways the eagles were applied...I know you're a well known collector of DAK uniforms but you know as well as me that these tunics were made by a lot of factories;IMHO there's not such a rule as to which way an eagle was to be sewn on what,unless we can supply photographic evidence of all the millions tunics made.I've seen ""2nd patterns" dated 1944 and all kind of oddities...ans I'm sure you have too.
    This tunic remains a put-together and a little convincing one at that! ;-)
    Cheers

?

Hi Horrido,
    I wouldn't consider myself as 'well known' - possibly vocal?
    1944 dated 2nd patterns are far from oddities or exceptional. 1941 dated examples are - but they exist (even though some collectors still refuse to acknowledge they were indeed manufactured that early, another reason I call them '2nd pattern' which is far more accurate than 'm42's)
    A study of period sewing techniques is vital in this 'hobby', I'm certain you'll agree. Having knowledgable insignia contributors such as Fred Green & Jerry B. here is vital - I've learned a great deal from their postings on this and other forums.
    With Respect,
    Mark
    New Zealand

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3