Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tropical Panzer Tunic

Article about: Haven't been here for awhile nor have I posted for ages but I have just managed to get a real gem for my collection and though I should post it up here for you guys to have a look at. Annoye

?

Stellar!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropical Panzer Tunic
    P
    Many

Hey Jason,
    Just an observation matey, could his rank have once been hauptmann rather than oberleutnant? ... because I think I see maybe another pip impression on the shoulderboards? Or maybe it was it a unit device..... is there a hole under the board itself from the pins?

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Good spot Dan, just had a look and there are 4 small holes on the underneath of the boards. I would say unit device over a pip just from the placement of the holes. This opens up some more questions.

Cheers
    Jason

I guess when you move units the devices come off and on ...... probably an unanswerable question as to what numeral/s it might have been?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Can we see the inner face of the eagles' sewing as well as the litzen? The colour of the boards are obviously pink, while (on my monitor) the litzen waffenfarbe appears copper/brown(?)
    Can you also measure the breast pocket size if you get the chance?
    Thanks for your time - My apologies for asking so much!
    Mark
    NZ

No worries Mark, snapped these pics before I went to work so hopefully they will do for you. Both are hand stitched and I cant see any evidence of removed or a second stitching on either the breast eagle or litzen. The thread is a bottle green for both and doesn't glow under UV, not that its the end all. The flatwire eagle show nice fading to the dark green fabric edge.

With the litzen it looks like the colour was pink but has faded our. I tried to take a pic with the phone up close but didn't show up as well as I wanted, might try and dig up the camera when I get home. Defiantly see pink colour to the wire though.

As for the breast pocket size it measures 13cm across x 16cm in length. The length was measured from the top of the pocket flap to the bottom of the pocket. Hope it helps.

Cheers
    JasonTropical Panzer TunicTropical Panzer TunicTropical Panzer TunicTropical Panzer TunicTropical Panzer Tunic

Great pics Jase!

A fine example.

As regards the eagle and the litzen, there should be signs of the original insignia because these came from the factory with the EM's versions and sometimes you see the stitching underneath where they sewed the officer versions over the top, but it should have had them when it was new and even if they have been removed they should have left some traces, though if done when it was new perhaps not much of a trace.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Just an amazing jacket!

?

Jerry's point is well worth noting. If the litzen had been removed then replaced with the officers continental set, the original sewing lines would have been protected from washing/wear and still evident - even after all this time. It appears that the litzen have been removed, the tunic washed a great many times and worn, then the new insignia applied.
    The quality of the sewing leaves a bit to be desired for an up-grade as well as an officer would have gotten the company tailor to apply them (in all likelihood) so the method of hand stitching would be of more care. It is also most notable the lack of chaffing behind the eagle which would appear after use.
    This leads me to believe that the insignia is post war applied to a stripped tunic which was worn without insignia for quite some period of time.
    Still - a very displayable item!
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2