Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tropical Uniform, Private ?

Article about: Do you like the look and construction of this one Lars ? Morris

Default Tropical Uniform, Private ?

Hi Guys i have seen this one on a dealer i know down here in Australia. He is usually a good guy to by from but i have my concerns about this one.
    The description states :
    WW2 German Tropical type tunic for corporal used in hotter climates in Italy or Southern Russia. Tunic has been professionally made from ground sheet or zeltbahn canvas type material with the use of breast eagle, collar & shoulder boards taken from normal field grey wool tunic. 2nd Class Iron Cross Ribbon in top button hole plus corporal stripes on left sleeve, fading to outside as can be seen from photos taken of inside showing darker colour. Some moth tracks to the wool parts but nothing serious and hardly noticeable. Some stitch marks on bottom of right sleeve where tailor has probably had to remove something from the original piece of zeltbahn to get the correct length of material not a piece of insignia removed, please see fourth photo.
    Tropical Uniform, Private ?Tropical Uniform, Private ?Tropical Uniform, Private ?Tropical Uniform, Private ?Tropical Uniform, Private ?

If i could have your thoughts that would be great thanks.

Morris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropical Uniform, Private ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Tropical Uniform, Private ?

Nothing guys, my thoughts are that it might be bad.
    Morris

No idea Morris as tunics are not my thing, to me though the breast eagle seems high though. Who is the dealer if you dont mind me asking, can PM me if you like

Jason

These types of tunics were known to have sometimes been made from captured stocks of Russian fabric and as the seller states for use in Southern Russia or Italy, with the former being more likely I think. It stands a chance of being a period item, but hard to say from these pics and also hard to say if it has been pimped at all or if all the parts such as the chevron and the boards are original items and are original to it. The way it has been made with those lapels is not typical, but as it would, if original, have been field made that might not be a problem.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I do like the look of it. But as you said Jerry it is hard to tell, I did blow up the pictures for the chevron and i do not see any red flags. I hope some of the other boys might be able to divulge a bit more info from this tunic.
    Morris

I believe i have found a similar example that is made out of the same material on espenlaub militaria
    Morris

Jerry If you were given the opportunity to buy this for a reasonable price and all the insignia are good would you make a move?
    Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Jerry If you were given the opportunity to buy this for a reasonable price and all the insignia are good would you make a move?
    Morris
    Hi Morris, I no longer collect such items and though I used to own a similar field made tunic, I could not comment with any authority as to what is a good price these days, but if the price was right and I had a period of inspection with a right of return if not satisfied with it, then I would probably be willing to purchase it, if I was in your position that is and I was keen to own a tunic of this type.

In Europe these come up for sale fairly often and tend to be a cheaper option than the continental versions and much cheaper than a proper tropical tunic, though how commonly seen for sale in your part of the world is not known to me and this might affect your decision to buy it, and as it is local to you that presumably makes it more appealing and saves on shipping costs etc.

As a first step I would try and get better detail pictures from the seller and wait for other opinions and then proceed from there if the opinions are positive, and as I suggest try getting a period of inspection with a right of return if not satisfied.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I have a "Southern Russia" Tunic as well. These are not Tropical as such, more a summer Tunic as they do not have Tropical insignia. I would say the price range should be around 1200-1500 Euro or so.

Regards, Lars

I have just emailed him. So hopefully he gets back to me.
    Morris

- - Updated - -

This one is being offered for under $1000.
    Morris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast