Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Hi David, I like the weave to the material and that makes me think it stands a good chance of being original. Cheers, Ade. Hi Ade The book finaly arrived here are the pic

Default Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)

just bought from vet this weekend all i know he brought it back with him after the war . he had two other large flags but didnt want to sell them. i know its wwii german pennant double sided maybe used on a vehicle or during a parade while the troops marched by . took the best pictures i could with the cheap camera i have . can any one translate the german writing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)   Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)  

Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)   Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)  

Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)   Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)  

Last edited by helmnutty; 10-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)
    P
    Many

Default re: Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)

Never seen anything like it before. The eagle and downed aircraft makes one think Luftwaffe related? Now the writing is odd IF (and this is an IF) I am correct:

Lg = Lager (Camp)

Kdo = Kommando (Unit or Command)

Belg- Nordfr (Belgium-Northern France)

Cheers, Ade.

Ade - maybe Lehrgeschwader instead of Lager? NH

Could well be... I was really struggling to think of something to fit, hence the IF

thanks for the help guys

It's Luftgau-Kommando Belgien-Nordfrankreich.

See: Luftgau Belgien-Nordfrankreich

According to Littlejohn's "Defending the Reich", this was an Abschusswimpel (roughly "shooting down pennant" or "kill pennant") as awarded in the early stages of the war by several Luftgaue in recognition of successes by individual Flak batteries.

(The book includes a photograph of another surviving example of these Belgien-Nordfrankreich pennants as well as two from other Luftgaue (of different designs) and even two period photographs of Flak men with the Belgien-Nordfrankreich pennants.)

Please see here for another one of them:
    Luftwaffe Flak “Kill” pennant (Abschuss Wimpel)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-22-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Great stuff ! Mystery solved. Never thought of Luftgau......

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)

I know this is a old thread.I'm interested in anyones thoughts on my pennant.I posted it on the WAF forum it recieved mix reviews.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)   Unknown WWII German pennant (Luftwaffe)  

Hi David, I like the weave to the material and that makes me think it stands a good chance of being original.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi David, I like the weave to the material and that makes me think it stands a good chance of being original.

Cheers, Ade.
    Cheers
    Ade i feel much better already.It also passes the black light test no problem.I might try to get a hold of littlejohns book i would love to see the period pics of this pennant in use.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast