Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Volksstrum coat Thoughts and help

Article about: I recently acquired, at a WW2 Vets Estate Auction, what appears to be a nice generic/civilian tan trench coat that was taken from Dipl. Volkswirt ARNO BAUER, who was the civilian administrat

?

Default Volksstrum coat Thoughts and help

I recently acquired, at a WW2 Vets Estate Auction, what appears to be a nice generic/civilian tan trench coat that was taken from Dipl. Volkswirt ARNO BAUER, who was the civilian administrator of the Sachsenhausen District of Frankfurt am Main. According to the documentation pinned to the coat, Bauer was captured by the Americans in April 1945 and held 18 months until released. No charges having been brought. The party type armband does not appear to be the typical Volksstrum style.
    If at all possible, I would like some comments on this piece , translation on a strip stitched in the left inside pocket " nur chem. stricken reinigen." Also if there is any knowledge of this city administrate ARNO BAUER. Thanks.

Volksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and helpVolksstrum coat Thoughts and help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volksstrum coat Thoughts and help
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I think "nur chem.stricken reinigen" is equivalent to "dry cleaning only". If I'm right.

And while I'm not a dry cleaner, I wonder if they dry cleaned cloths back then

Oh..and this

https://www.mey-edlich.de/
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A Tarted-Up Trench Coat.....I don't see 70 years of storage wear on this coat - and no service-wear whatsoever-, and the Story is just a Story....He wouldn't have kept that armband on his coat for long either....I hope you didn't spend a lot of money for this, friend...
    In addition, as "District Administrator" he would have had a Kreisleitung Armband...
    cheers, Glenn

Dry cleaning is a fairly old process and was well known in the 1930's. However, I am seeing nothing that makes this coat anything but a period over coat with an armband sewn on-likely post war. The attached story tag is interesting but actually proves little. Likewise, the Mey and Edlich tag tells little, as they were established in 1870 and were in all the major German cities like Sears and Roebuck in the States. I doubt that Bauer would have been released from custody and allowed to walk out wearing a swastika armband in postwar Germany.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The more I look at this the worse it gets, lol...

What has been said above.

I don't believe in this piece at all; at least not in it having any Volkssturm connection. A Volkssturm member who hadn't been issued a uniform would wear just the Volkssturm armband (which was important as a sign of the wearer's combatant status) with his civilian clothes and only while on duty. Why would he want to wear the Swastika armband instead and why should he sew it on?

Basically, it's a civilian coat with a political armband that could have been added at any time during the past decades.

By the way, just for the sake of completeness; the label actually says: "nur chem. [= chemisch] trocken reinigen" = "chemical dry cleaning only".

?

Thanks guys... Thats why I put it on this sight... thanks for your honest opinions...

?

Luckily I didn't pay too much for it. But still too much for a plain coat with an armband.. Ha! But I did get 3 other "Good" German uniforms out of the same Vet Estate and thought it was an interesting story and might be fun to try to research Arno Bauer.
    Thanks again for your thoughts and input.

If at all possible, post the items for review before spending your money...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Thanks Glenn... I usually do.. Good advice..Thanks.