Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

What to look for in a tunic?

Article about: I'm eyeing some shows coming up this fall and I think I am going to invest in my first ww2 german tunic. I've been searching the web, but haven't found much information on what to look for i

Default What to look for in a tunic?

I'm eyeing some shows coming up this fall and I think I am going to invest in my first ww2 german tunic. I've been searching the web, but haven't found much information on what to look for in a tunic when trying to determine whether its real or repro. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What to look for in a tunic?
    P
    Many

Study originals and their features, such as the fabrics used, the stitching techniques, the correct layout in terms of pockets and belt hook holes. At one time looking for zig zag stitching behind the collar was a useful thing to look for, but fakes have that now. Also look at the markings if any for makers and sizes which follow a set format. To be honest, the things to look for are so many that without a lot of study or only buying from a reputable dealer with a money back guarantee, you could well spend a lot of money on a fake or re enactors item. Stay away from Panzer, FJ or SS until you really know what you are doing. If you know anyone who knows there stuff, ask them to check items out for you, but remember, it is your money you are spending and if you don't know what you are buying, it is nobodies fault but yours if you buy a lemon.

Good luck and if you are going to buy anything, post here first and to be honest most shows will often not be any cheaper than looking at dealers sites where at least you can post pics before you buy, so that is probably the best way to get your first tunic IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by ddumont771 View Post
    I'm eyeing some shows coming up this fall and I think I am going to invest in my first ww2 german tunic. I've been searching the web, but haven't found much information on what to look for in a tunic when trying to determine whether its real or repro. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Hi

Welcome to the forum

Have you started collecting? If so i would start with everything but German.
    Even so, take a look at thread on the forum, look carefully at descriptions, photos and start comparing.
    Cloth, stitches, stamps, insignias, labels, design, those are the main things you should look for and compare.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Nuno

Jerry is right. You will not find any bargains at any show. Use the internet and buy from other collectors. Always post here for opinions before you close the deal and ........ you are covered.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Fred Green
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Study originals and their features, such as the fabrics used, the stitching techniques, the correct layout in terms of pockets and belt hook holes. At one time looking for zig zag stitching behind the collar was a useful thing to look for, but fakes have that now. Also look at the markings if any for makers and sizes which follow a set format. To be honest, the things to look for are so many that without a lot of study or only buying from a reputable dealer with a money back guarantee, you could well spend a lot of money on a fake or re enactors item. Stay away from Panzer, Fallschirmjager or SS until you really know what you are doing. If you know anyone who knows there stuff, ask them to check items out for you, but remember, it is your money you are spending and if you don't know what you are buying, it is nobodies fault but yours if you buy a lemon.

Good luck and if you are going to buy anything, post here first and to be honest most shows will often not be any cheaper than looking at dealers sites where at least you can post pics before you buy, so that is probably the best way to get your first tunic IMHO.
    Hello,

Jerry hits the nail right on the head!! Study of uniform characteristics is key to knowing what you are looking at. I recommend the book "FELDBLUSE"by Jean-Philippe Borg. This deals with Heer uniforms and give a very good start or uniform collecting.

Fred

Thanks for all the info. I'll post some photos of one consideration in a new thread. Thanks again!