Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And what is this thing?

Article about: Now...the Tricky part! What the heck is such a suit Worth?

?

Quote by inka View Post
    The boss at the museum said they were used for this purpose as well,like on the Tirpitz when it was in its hiding place in a Norwegian Fjord..
    Interesting.

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I just thought I'd put the flammenwerfer idea out there....I've seen pics, and I know it's not the best reference, but my flame thrower equipped half track model has figures of operators in full suits with hoods
    And thats just fine IMO. All valid suggestions fuels an animated debate on a forum and brings out pics, more suggestions, opinions and those-in-the-know (not me). Basically what makes up an interesting, balanced debate on a forum IMO

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement And what is this thing?
    P
    Many

The ypothesis about its use by crews generating smokescreen on shipwrecks and near the coastal battery bunkers? Opinion about value? (I must to respond to an offer)...
    Thanks

?

You are interested in buying this suit and want an estimated value so you can make an offer, am I correct? It might be difficult to get a proper value on an item that doesn't show up in the marketplace too often.
    It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Interesting,it does look like extreme weather gear,it looks like it should have gloves that seal over the cuff and the flare around the hood I would say more to turn in and seal around the face with goggles rather than binoculars.The fasteners are very odd and looks like they were made for something else to attach,strengthened as well by the look of it,I did wonder if it was fire proof and maybe could be something used in the V2 fueling process,that was just a thought.It is odd and interesting I like that.

J

?

Quote by Lord Page View Post
    Interesting,it does look like extreme weather gear,it looks like it should have gloves that seal over the cuff and the flare around the hood I would say more to turn in and seal around the face with goggles rather than binoculars.The fasteners are very odd and looks like they were made for something else to attach,strengthened as well by the look of it,I did wonder if it was fire proof and maybe could be something used in the V2 fueling process,that was just a thought.It is odd and interesting I like that.

J
    Now THAT would be someting!!
    Im not saying it is, but what if it indeed was a suit for fueling the 163 with the higly dangerous C-Stoff hydrazine/T-Stoff oxydizer fuel.
    I remember reading that this did require special protective suits due to the highly toxic/corrosive/dangerous nature of the rocket fuel.
    Cant be many of those suits left.

CBH
    ?

It looks to me like " Heavy Weight Chemical warfare suit " or should I say there is a line drawing of the same suit in "Uniforms & Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945"+Volume III+ pg176 There is not much information on it just that it was issued to "selected units , for special purposes"
    Cheers Chris
    Last edited by CBH; 09-18-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Quote by CBH View Post
    It looks to me like " Heavy Weight Chemical warfare suit " or should I say there is a line drawing of the same suit in "Uniforms & Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945" pg176 There is not much information on it just that it was issued to "selected units , for special purposes"
    I'd say you've got it! The description of the schwere Gasbekleidung in Schlicht/Angolia's work matches... and now have a look here:

Gasbekleidung

(slightly bigger image: Bilderarchiv 1933-1945 )

Clearly the same type of suit!

?

Yep, looks like the 'Schwere Gasbekleidung' - WooHoo!

Well done.

Good thread; interesting item, super suggestions all around, A+ for efforts - another interesting and productive thread

Thank yoiu very much guys, thank you to HPL200B that found this images. Excellent team and interesting thread!
    partisan

Very interesting and rare find.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast