MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Et police decal help needed

Article about: Need some help/opinions here please from my trusted "Helmet Head" friends on this forum. Wanting to know if this police decal looks to have been "touched up" where the da

Default Et police decal help needed

Need some help/opinions here please from my trusted "Helmet Head" friends on this forum. Wanting to know if this police decal looks to have been "touched up" where the damage is at the 3'oclock position.

I have edited the pictures, (helmet not in my possession) to try to sharpen the image & enlarged it. Does the damage look touched up or just rubbed ?

Thanks in advance.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Et police decal help needed   Et police decal help needed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Et police decal help needed
    P
    Many

Well, I guess it is never going to be easy to assess something like that from an image rather than by physical examination and I suspect you already have an opinion here but from the images I would say this has been re-touched. There is definately a shade discrepancy whatever the colour rendition of a pc monitor shows. Is the decal edge present?

Clearly this has to be a concern because such a restoration tends to move the decal into the 100% bracket.

What is the declared position here?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Looks touched up to me. To be sure you will need an in hand. Have a loupe with you. Jim G.

do you have a shot of the party shield as well , they should have the same appearance more or less at least.
    The glossiness of this one is off putting.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    The glossiness of this one is off putting.
    Good point. I focussed on the area of concern re the touch-up but now you mention it the decal as a whole is a bit shiny.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi, one of the tricks I use when I test the originality of decals is by lighting them up during 5 to 10 seconds. If the decal melts, its a post-war repro. Original decals are not affected by heat. Of course it depends how important the originality aspect is to you and your friend. Because, if it is a fake, your repro decal will have been destroyed by the test.

Here is the entire helmet. Not from a dealer, was thinking of buying it from my friend who also thinks it was touched up. I have no problem with the originality of the decals, they are textbook ET. The first 3 pics I enhanced to try to see the damage more clearly, hence the over glossiness.

Now I have to determine if I still want the helmet, a shame because the rest of it is quite nice 1937 dated & my favorite size...68.
    Touching up a decal is like the "8th deadly sin". Why would someone do this ?? One should NEVER touch a decal. So I have gotten 100% bad news on this as I sort of predicted. Not sure I can live with it & appreciate it at this point.
    Yes, I am angry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Et police decal help needed   Et police decal help needed  

Et police decal help needed   Et police decal help needed  

Quote by Godstantin View Post
    Hi, one of the tricks I use when I test the originality of decals is by lighting them up during 5 to 10 seconds. If the decal melts, its a post-war repro. Original decals are not affected by heat. Of course it depends how important the originality aspect is to you and your friend. Because, if it is a fake, your repro decal will have been destroyed by the test.
    The decals are 100% original. The first set of pics the shiny appearance was due to myself enhancing it with photoshop to try to bring out the damage.

Quote by Godstantin View Post
    "Huh" ? Oh...I get it. Should I use a lighter or a blowtorch ?
    Some members were wondering why Bob & Ned & F-B have walked off....??

So, the gloss is explained. Good enough. Still a very nice lid despite the touch-up. To be honest I think I could live with it given the overall shape of the piece as long as the price took the interference into account. Yes this is an act of vandalism but one that might be possible to undo. However, that is another tale. Come to think of it I think I would live with it for sure. Another piece like that won't be along tomorrow will it?

Let us know what choice you make.

Regards

Mark

PS I don't get the heat test thing either. Seems a tad reckless to me as the potential for a major FUBAR seems very real!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast