Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help: German Police M35 Helmet

Article about: Hello everybody, I have a few questions regarding a German police helmet M35 as I am a new collector. I have a few second thoughts regarding its authenticity as the decals seem a bit off. Fi

Default Help: German Police M35 Helmet

Hello everybody,

I have a few questions regarding a German police helmet M35 as I am a new collector. I have a few second thoughts regarding its authenticity as the decals seem a bit off. First off, the party seal decal tends to be a bit more right than depicted in other helmets. Second, the eagle decal has some extra colouring that seems unnatural. I do not know if any of those are supposed to be as they are. You can see those from the pictures, a note must be made that my camera is not top notch quality and some pixels may be visible, those are from the photo quality and not on the helmets. Also, the eagle is rather shiny, something that I couldnt depict as a result of the limitations of my camera. Thanks in advance for your time all of you!

TerryHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 HelmetHelp: German Police M35 Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help: German Police M35 Helmet
    P
    Many

The helmet is known as an M34 in the collecting community. Of course that's the year of production.
    It's a "Fire Police" helmet & the decals are correct & appear to be period applied. The eagle decal is slightly offset, just a printing error. But it is the decal one would expect to find on this shell

Default German Fire Police M34 Helmet

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I wonder how do you distinguish between Police and Fire Police helmets? As I thought that they are identical. Thanks in advance

Terry

Normally, this model helmet (M34) was made for fire protection, hence the tabs on the back of the liner to attach a leather "hood" or flap. Most are painted black & wear police decals.
    Actual combat police helmets were issued in 1936 on the M35 shells & were painted green with a pair of police decals. There are many examples here posted the last few years that you can observe

Quote by Terry 29 View Post
    Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I wonder how do you distinguish between Police and Fire Police helmets? As I thought that they are identical. Thanks in advance

Terry
    There is the fun in collecting German Third Reich headgear. There are so many variants.
    There are so many helmets that carry Police decals ranging from M35/40/42 combat helmets to M34 medium weight to M34 light weight shells.
    Like David says the ones with the tabs are your most typical ones that denote firefighting use and will probably have sealed off holes on top where the comb used to be. But many examples with comb also exist.

Thanks alot everyone for the replies and for the extra info!

Hi Terry, as the others, who really know their stuff, have already said, it is 100% correct and a nice example. You now have been bitten, haver the bug, and will be addicted to collecting! It is a really fun hobby, enjoy, and welcome to the forum. A good bunch here that will help you learn the ropes. Jim G.