Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home-made Decal Prototypes

Article about: Hello, I have been trying to make a good quality decal for my restored ww2 German m40 helmet. I would like your opinions on what you think of my decals. I have been experimenting with the be

?

Default Home-made Decal Prototypes

Hello,
    I have been trying to make a good quality decal for my restored ww2 German m40 helmet.
    I would like your opinions on what you think of my decals.

I have been experimenting with the best way to make them and here is what I have come up with.
    They are plastic like decals that will have to be stuck on with an adhesive to a helmet.
    Home-made Decal Prototypes Home-made Decal Prototypes
    They do not wipe off or tear easily, below is a demonstration of sandpaper being used to test the strength.
    I decided to test one by scratching it with sandpaper.
    It ended up tearing from the force of the sandpaper being vigorously rubbed up against it, but the decal color/outline stays

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Home-made Decal Prototypes
    P
    Many

they look like fake crap just like all the others you can buy online.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    they look like fake crap just like all the others you can buy online.
    Thanks for your opinion.
    What characteristics make it look fake (type of eagle design, colour, etc)?

It is not the purpose of this forum to advise how to manufacture fake material. There is certainly enough of it on the world market.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

It's nice to see the swastika whited out so we are not offended, even though it doesn't offend anyone here... apparently what does is someone making fakes, no matter how altruistic the intent is.

And true, there are plenty of fakes out there, "AT THE FRONT" sells a pair for $5 with these instructions (think about it, $5, why would you need to make your own?);

German Helmet Decals

Price $5 pair

"Should I put both my decals on?"
    Depends on what time frame and what look you are going for.

Here's the rules for German decals:

Use both decals if you are doing a pre-war or early-war helmet. After experience in Poland and France, an order in 1940 called for the removal and omission of future tri-color shields (red-white-black striped shield for Heer & Luftwaffe, shield with swastika for the SS). The bright colors were just too visible. Of course, as with any military, this was apparently adhered to only when necessary... there is plenty of photographic evidence showing double-decal helmets all the way to the end of the war.

An order dated 1943 called for the removal and omission of ANY decals on helmets. This would mean that ideally-speaking, the 1942 run of M42 shells would have had the National Eagle (or "SS" runes) decal applied in the factories, but after 1943 no decals should be seen on new helmets. In addition, many M35 & M40 shells were reconditioned and reissued all the way to the end, so these rules would apply to them too. To add further confusion, decals were available for private purchase, so it is conceivable that a sneaky Soldat might have applied his own double-decal job to his spanky-new M42 for whatever reason! The best late-war look is probably no decals at all.

So it makes you wonder why?

"I have been trying to make a good quality decal for my restored ww2 German m40 helmet. I would like your opinions on what you think of my decals."
    Unless it's to be business enterprise, in which case (likely the case) it's in pretty poor taste to come on here and ask for advice.

But thx for whiting out that "offensive" Swastika, very thoughful.
    Last edited by Larboard; 09-25-2015 at 02:52 AM.

This isn't really the kind of website where you would be wise to show your artistic talents in producing your own decals. That said... I admire your skill whether it is accurate or not. I just wonder why you would go through so much trouble for your own restored helmet though. Are you just fishing for information on the accuracy before you start selling to a wider audience rather than just for your own use?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    It's nice to see the swastika whited out so we are not offended, even though it doesn't offend anyone here... apparently what does is someone making fakes, no matter how altruistic the intent is.

And true, there are plenty of fakes out there, "At the front" sells a pair for $5 with these instructions (think about it, $5, why would you need to make your ow

So it makes you wonder why?

Unless it's to be business enterprise, in which case (likely the case) it's in pretty poor taste to come on here and ask for advice.

But thx for whiting out that "offensive" Swastika, very thoughful.
    Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    This isn't really the kind of website where you would be wise to show your artistic talents in producing your own decals. That said... I admire your skill whether it is accurate or not. I just wonder why you would go through so much trouble for your own restored helmet though. Are you just fishing for information on the accuracy before you start selling to a wider audience rather than just for your own use?

You're right!!! BOO...!!! Let's get 'im.....!!!!

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

This thread disturbs me....Not accusing anybody of any wrong doing... Of course... The information here is for collectors and enthusiasts... Just...Kind of baffles me as to your real intentions... Are you using our vast knowledge as a Forum for trickery ?? Most members here can spot a "Fake" with a mere glance... What about the other percent of non educated collecting public ?? JMO...G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

just buy yourself a real helmet with real decals. If you can not afford one, then save up.
    If for re enacting, then those decals are good enough.

?

There are always dirt bags that try to scam people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast