Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing fake paint/transfers

Article about: Acquired an M.1918 stahlhelm. Pictures are of the insignia. The national colors shield appears painted on. The eagle/swastika I'm less sure about. Both appear post-1945 fake. Presuming they

Default Removing fake paint/transfers

Acquired an M.1918 stahlhelm. Pictures are of the insignia. The national colors shield appears painted on. TRemoving fake paint/transfersRemoving fake paint/transfershe eagle/swastika I'm less sure about. Both appear post-1945 fake. Presuming they are fake, how best can I remove them without much damaging the underlying paint? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing fake paint/transfers
    P
    Many

They don't look like authentic decals, but I'm confused about the paintwork here which looks oddly flakey, leading me to be concerned about the authenticity of the paint work in general. I'd be interested to see the whole helmet.

I have had success with removing paint with acetone and cotton buds.

I agree with Douglas, this one could be a movie prop? The decals looks like white base and then black & red are spray painted.

Hmmmm, I'd be inclined to leave it as is. Not saying it is period correct but any removal will further booger up the appearance. I note the air vent is stuffed with something - maybe straw. This was done commonly to prevent the helmet from whistling due to wind - especially by those on guard duty. NH

I'm not familiar with these cut out helmets but I suspect it's entirely repainted, over a rusty shell causing flaking. I will be interested to hear from those who know better than I.

Have a photo of the inside ? Any markings visible?

Removing fake paint/transfersRemoving fake paint/transfers This helmet came out of a small gunshop in South Carolina. the liner is not metal, it's a heavy leather band. Sure ain't German. Probably/certainly fake. Also, centered above the ear cut-outs are rivets holding a chin strap(!) I'd call that fake. Certainly nonstandard. Shell may be legitimate, however. The cut outs are flared, unlike known fakes I've seen. Stampings inside the shell's rim, if any, are obscured by paint.

My feeling is the whole thing is fake, but like I say I don't know this particular model very well. As you say, the liner and chinstrap is certainly fake, add to that fake decals, dubious paint and a poorly made rolled rim to the interior and I think it's not looking good.

The inner rolled edge looks crudely done ,is the E.T stamp present ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast