Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?

Article about: Hi Guys, Wandering around the local market this morning I managed to pick up a Hitler Youth knife. The guy sold it to me for £50 (GBP) as it's in a bit of a shabby condition with broken tip

Default Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?

Hi Guys,

Wandering around the local market this morning I managed to pick up a Hitler Youth knife. The guy sold it to me for £50 (GBP) as it's in a bit of a shabby condition with broken tip etc. Anyway, I'm pretty convinced it's an original at least and worth the small asking price.

I've browsed some of the other threads here regarding restoration etc, and I'm only looking to protect it from any further degrading rather than do an overhaul and hence lose its authentic look.

So on that point is there anything I can do to stop rusting or corrosion?

Please be aware that I'm a UK resident so many of the metal cleaning products or such like available in the US or elsewhere may not be available to me!

Thanks in advance.

Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?
    P
    Many

I've never used anything on my blades...just keep it stored in a dry place and wipe it down every now and then...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I've never used anything on my blades...just keep it stored in a dry place and wipe it down every now and then...
    cheers, Glenn
    Cheers Glenn. Yes, I've got everything stored in my back room on shelves or in cabinets so no problems there. I just remember my Dad used to wipe down the blades on his bayonets with Vaseline. Not really sure if that's a good way of protecting them or not?

?

I think if it were mine I wouldnt do any thing to it.Looks good to Me.Looks like it has a story to tell.

A little WD40 would never hurt, I guess ;-)

Mfg
    Marc

I just remove any loose debris with a clean cotton cloth and the follow-up with a light coat of Renaissance Wax.

MAP
    ?

I typically use a very light oil (i.e. sewing machine oil). It's so light it leaves hardly a trace. But the other solutions above work as well.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I wouldn't do anything to it beside a little bit of grease. It is what it is, a very nice HJ dagger thats got the 'been there' look to it. Restoration would kill all the caracter is has right now.

All wet substances dry over time..and I would advise against using oils or grease. below is a photo and a reason why we see runner marks on our dagger and knife blades. One this drys over the years..it becomes encrusted..like a heavy grit sandpaper...all those in and out only worsens it. The problem is the blade can be wiped down..but the runner inside..can not. Below is a photo of an SA dagger runner after 70 years from the Vet or whoever decided that this is the best course of preservation. I know some will not agree with me..and thats fine...here is the photo an the link to the preservation thread. Regards Larry

SA / SS Runners preservation
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaning a HJ Knife - some help please?  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

to open a discussion, do I need to pay any membership or just being a registered member I can? I do not see how, thanks
    who was rockie blunt?'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast