Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond

Article about: Talk to a collectors of HJ Fahrtenmesser and he will point out: if the diamond doesn't wiggle in the gripplate the diamond most be replaced or most be a fake. But there are exceptions: these

?

Default Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond

Talk to a collectors of HJ Fahrtenmesser and he will point out: if the diamond doesn't wiggle in the gripplate the diamond most be replaced or most be a fake.
    But there are exceptions: these are to be found in the early no ricasso Motto knives: they can have genuine diamonds that do not rock.
    If the split that holds the diamond in the grip is set to tight it just cant wiggle.
    So first make up your mind if the diamond looks ok before you burn a knife.
    There is an interesting youtube clip about HJ diamonds, just look at it and then make up your mind:
    HITLER YOUTH KNIFE DIAMOND charactoristics & repro rec. ww.ddsdaggers.com - YouTube

In fact i own 2 early motto Hj knives who have diamonds that do not rock...

here a picture of the back of a plate with a tightly fit split

Cheers Ger
    Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond
    P
    Many

Default Re: Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond

Sometimes original diamonds are glued into the handle as replacements, and they will not wiggle.

I've only owned a few HJ Fahrtenmessers, but what I have noticed in them is that the transitional diamonds have a tighter fit compared to the early diamonds. Just my own observation.

Corey

?

Default Re: Does evry HJ diamond has to rock/wiggle? NO, it depends on the split behind the Diamond

Hi Corey,

thats what i meant with "most be replaced" i could have added: "glued back"
    Its not that i justify every Diamond that doesn't wiggle, i'm just trying to create an "open mind" instead of a prejustice.....

The only way to know for sure if you have a tight split or a glued back one is to make a rontgen photo of it...

Ger

Also if I may add is it also depended on who was installing the diamonds that day which also could vary maker to maker......slight variances in the grip slot opening,,as I feel not all grip plates were not made the same exactly....and a very big possible reason that could contribute to the looseness,, is the HJ boys roughing around with them a bit...but we all know the HJ took care of their knives and didnt throw them around
    This is good piece of information and I would also like to see as what we seen in the Video if someone can post the different types of HJ diamonds from "early period to late period" ..the diamond that would be seen within those years.

Also the silver border diamonds the fatter diamonds and the solid red diamonds. I know there are HJ collectors on our forum that could take at least 3 or 4 photos of the varied diamonds that were used. The same with the years from when ricassos were seen and unseen, that also would match the production dates. This would be a helpful but easy project to put together for a reference thread..which i will pin to the top of the forum. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Also the silver border diamonds the fatter diamonds and the solid red diamonds. I know there are HJ collectors on our forum that could take at least 3 or 4 photos of the varied diamonds that were used. The same with the years from when ricassos were seen and unseen, that also would match the production dates. This would be a helpful but easy project to put together for a reference thread..which i will pin to the top of the forum. Regards Larry
    Larry i,ll start a new referance thread on the Various hj daimonds as i have many photos already on file

Regards Mac 66.

Thanks Mac,,....and thank you Gerrit for bringing up the topic
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Thanks Mac,,....and thank you Gerrit for bringing up the topic
    Ywcl Larry,

Mac this is a bit what i had in mind! Great M8!, start your Diamond thread and i will add the ones i have too
    Hope the rest will follow!

Cheers
    Ger

?

a question about the diamond that might be a little off track. since the movement and lack of have been mentioned, i'd like to bring up the alignment with the checkering on the grip plates. some folks are under the mistaken impression that the diamond should not be aligned with the checkering , but it all depends on how the grip plate checkering was done. ie. its angle. they are not all the same. some diamonds will cross the checkering others wont. good examples on the other thread Mac started.
    andrew