Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Fake HJ Knife

Article about: by Mac 66 Ned i,m sorry to say but these griplates you call late war celluloid are imo post war replacements, the knife you show with these celluloid griplates looks to me like the rivets ha

Default Re: Fake HJ Knife

Put me in the lotto also. Could use the scabbard if you want to separate.

Looks good,
    Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake HJ Knife
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    Put me in the lotto also. Could use the scabbard if you want to separate.

Looks good,
    Rudy
    I know....the scabbrd is in better shape than mine! haha

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Agree, the scabbard is correct and knife looks great too. Washer seems to be original to the knife from pics shown. Could you please provide a close-up shot of the numbers on the blade above the Hilt? I think I see some small engraved numbers.

Sure do, M7/31 August Merten Machinewerke of Solingen-Grafarth.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Sure do, M7/31 August Merten Machinewerke of Solingen-Grafarth.
    Thanks Ned! I was wondering how you were able to see the numbers at first, until I realized that I could "click to enlarge" the photo! haha! my bad.

a fine original as others have said,,,

?

Well guys i guess nobody noticed the griplates have been replaced & are plastic modern repro type
    Check out the rivets they have been messed with & replaced
    apart from these serious issues the hj knife & scabbard are genuine

Quote by Mac 66 View Post
    Well guys i guess nobody noticed the griplates have been replaced & are plastic modern repro type
    Check out the rivets they have been messed with & replaced
    apart from these serious issues the hj knife & scabbard are genuine
    Got to disagree with you there Mac. The grips are the later celluloid type and not Bakelite. You can tell the difference by the chequering having a 'sharper' finish to the centre of each chequer, the Bakelite ones are noticably flatter in the centre.

As far as the rivets go, they to look fine, I can't see that they've been messed with.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Got to disagree with you there Mac. The grips are the later celluloid type and not Bakelite. You can tell the difference by the chequering having a 'sharper' finish to the centre of each chequer, the Bakelite ones are noticably flatter in the centre.

As far as the rivets go, they to look fine, I can't see that they've been messed with.

Regards, Ned.
    Ned, i have owned over 100 hj knifes in my time & know my stuff when it comes down to detail & authenticity of these knifes & there parts, the rivets have been messed with & modern replacement griplates fitted, "The griplate daimond pattern is terrible", See how new they look compared to the condition of the knife & my guess is the origional bakelite griplates were broke or smashed up, take a closer look at the rivets on the plain side which have been re-riveted IMHO

Quote by Mac 66 View Post
    Ned, i have owned over 100 hj knifes in my time & know my stuff when it comes down to detail & authenticity of these knifes & there parts, the rivets have been messed with & modern replacement griplates fitted, "The griplate daimond pattern is terrible", See how new they look compared to the condition of the knife & my guess is the origional bakelite griplates were broke or smashed up, take a closer look at the rivets on the plain side which have been re-riveted IMHO
    In that case I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge Mac. I'll just show the two different types of grip I was trying to describe for reasons of clarity.

First, the Bakelite.Fake HJ KnifeFake HJ Knife

And the celluloid.

Fake HJ KnifeFake HJ Knife

Regards, Ned.

?

Ned i,m sorry to say but these griplates you call late war celluloid are imo post war replacements, the knife you show with these celluloid griplates looks to me like the rivets have been messed with, can you take a close pic of the rivets on the plain side to show the rivet ends please?

Here is a very late war hj knife to show you the griplates & the proper way they were riveted in the factory using zinc rivets in this case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake HJ Knife   Fake HJ Knife  

Fake HJ Knife  
    Last edited by Mac 66; 06-17-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast