Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German Scout Dagger?

Article about: is this post war?

?

Default Re: German Scout Dagger?

Yes Boy Scout emblem. This is a picture of my Son's Boy Scout buckle.
    German Scout Dagger?
    Now I know our buckle is for the Boy Scout's of America. Henches the eagle in the Fleur de lis
    That is why I was asking about the German Scouts during the TR period.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Scout Dagger?
    P
    Many

Last edited by GreekMilitaria; 05-27-2013 at 12:56 PM.

yes the emblem on the grip is from boy scouts

hehe yes its very good looking i will keep it in my collection. and yes i think there were boy scouts in TR

?

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    yes i think there were boy scouts in TR
    The Scouts, along with other existing youth organisations (ie Catholic Youth) were banned in Germany after the Nazis came to power. My impression is that ALL organisations in the TR were either nationalised or banned. Victor Klemperer in his fine book, The Language of the Third Reich describes how even the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cats was nazified, its journal becoming Das deutsche Katzenwesen (The German Feline).

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Were their Boy Scouts in Germany during the TR?
    Phil
    As a separate entity...NO...pretty much the HJ DJ and BDM were the same as what we have here except the difference was the political doctrinal teaching of the NS and hatred. The HJ and the BoyScouts shared the same activitiies of camping..survival..helping others......minus the Guns.
    Which brings a question.....since it was wartime in America and the other allied countries did they also teach their scouts the use of guns and use thescouts around the country since there was a shortage of men. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    a question.....since it was wartime in America and the other allied countries did they also teach their scouts the use of guns and use thescouts around the country since there was a shortage of men. Regards Larry
    In Britain, the Local Defence Volunteers (LDV; later Home Guard) used the Boy Scouts as messengers and guides. The Girl Guides were also employed in similar roles for Civil Defence Organisations. Scouts were also given the task of searching for unexploded bombs after raids. I take my information from Stephen Cullen's recent and highly recommended book on the HG In Search of the Real Dad's Army (2011). It should also be noted that the Officer Training Corps (OTCs) attached to many grammar and 'public' (that is fee paying) schools were also closely involved with the HG, and in the summer of the 1940, when the LDV was without uniforms or proper weapons, OTCs were well equipped and organised.

Incidentally, regarding the Boy Scouts in relation to the HJ, although they were obviously poles apart in ideological terms, the Scouts were often criticised at the time for being 'militaristic' which led to pacificist alternatives like the Woodcraft Folk. The founder of the Scouts, Lord Baden Powell, was a former soldier and the Scouts came out of both his experience of 'irregular' warfare in the Boer War and contemporary anxieties about the state of the nation at that time. The fact that what was then the largest empire in the world could only defeat the Boer farmers after a long and bloody struggle lead to widespread fears that Britain was in a state of decay.

Another interesting sidelight on the relationship between Britain and Germany in this area can be found in this article: Lord Baden Powell invited to meet Hitler, MI5 files show - Telegraph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2