MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...

Article about: by Walkwolf I believe Mac and Giz have pretty much said it all. I read that these cost 1.50 Reichmarks back in the day. If the buffer pad is a recent add on and can be removed - and if the k

Default Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...

Got this one today..... finally ! My first HJ dagger
    I would appreciate your opinion on this one.
    Leather buffer and the leather strap that goes around the handle is not authentic IMO, don't know if they were period done, but I don't think so. I am a little worried about the short leather hanger, it only goes up until the end of the grip plates ?
    Scabbard looks authentic, still with alot of the original paint and has got the "wormlike" corrosion running around underneath the paint, like my iron cross and several of my other scabbards. I like that
    The hilt is magnetic like it should be on early HJ's and retains almost all of its plating. The HJ diamond, does not follow the checker pattern. The diamond has got the fishscale underneath the red area and small flakes of "gold" in the area around the swastika. It wiggles like it should, but almost too much.... I can almost have a look underneath the diamond in one side, when I push it down at the other side, what do you guys think of that ? When I look at the diamond from the side, it looks almost curved...
    Another thing I am a little concerned about is that one of the gripplates seems like it is a bit too thin compared to the hilt.
    The blade is a beauty ! It has never been sharpened or buffed. There is no niks to the edge and the motto is very visible.
    Hope you like it !
    Thanks
    Henrik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...   Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...  

Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...   Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...  

Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-11-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Corrected Title.........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Got my first HJ farten messer today...

It is not easy to find any reference on HJ daggers by this maker, is it rare ?

?

Hi Henrik, the leather hanger & snap button has been replaced,
    the griplates, daimond & rivits look origional to me, the daimond is just a little loose but this happens when people try to pry up the daimond which bends the 2 tangs holding it into the griplate, also not all griplates have a perfect fit so do not worry about it, the maker JUSTINUS is a very hard maker to find imo

Overall a nice condition early rare maker hj knife with replaced scabbard hanger, leather buffer washer looks replaced also but thats no big deal .

Congrats on your 1st hj knife

its better than my 1st hj knife ever was

Regards Mac 66.

Hi Henrik,

I'm still learning A LOT myself (I just got my first HJ dagger in the mail yesterday! Pics soon...), but in general yours looks good. As Mac said, the leather hanger and snap and leather buffer don't look right and are not original to the dagger. We may never know if they were period replacements/ repairs or if it was doctored up more recently.

I believe the "'wormlike' corrosion running around underneath the paint" you mentioned is called: "crazing"(?)

In terms of everything else you mentioned (grip plates not being flush, etc.) I think we have to remember that these daggers were sold on the cheap to be used by children. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the quality control on HJ daggers is on par with that of dress bayonets and daggers used by adults in the SA, SS, Heer, etc., etc.

I believe Mac and Giz have pretty much said it all. I read that these cost 1.50
    Reichmarks back in the day.

If the buffer pad is a recent add on and can be removed - and if the knife
    fits into the scabbard properly without it - I would do so. The earlier
    knives without a ricasso may have not even had one - my own
    early HJ by 'Paul Selheimer' doesn't.........
    Regards,

Steve.

JMM
    ?

Quote by hbhansen View Post
    Got this one today..... finally ! My first HJ dagger
    I would appreciate your opinion on this one.
    Leather buffer and the leather strap that goes around the handle is not authentic IMO, don't know if they were period done, but I don't think so. I am a little worried about the short leather hanger, it only goes up until the end of the grip plates ?
    Scabbard looks authentic, still with alot of the original paint and has got the "wormlike" corrosion running around underneath the paint, like my iron cross and several of my other scabbards. I like that
    The hilt is magnetic like it should be on early HJ's and retains almost all of its plating. The HJ diamond, does not follow the checker pattern. The diamond has got the fishscale underneath the red area and small flakes of "gold" in the area around the swastika. It wiggles like it should, but almost too much.... I can almost have a look underneath the diamond in one side, when I push it down at the other side, what do you guys think of that ? When I look at the diamond from the side, it looks almost curved...
    Another thing I am a little concerned about is that one of the gripplates seems like it is a bit too thin compared to the hilt.
    The blade is a beauty ! It has never been sharpened or buffed. There is no niks to the edge and the motto is very visible.
    Hope you like it !
    Thanks
    Henrik
    Good knife mate. In spite of the replaced parts I like it. Know just how you are feeling. I'll never forget the moment when for the first time I had my HJ knife in my hands

It's a beautiful knife. I would suggest perhaps one of the moderators could correct the spelling mistake in the thread title (i.e. Fahrtenmesser), as the current spelling has a very unfortunate schoolboy humour quality to it

Rob

Congrats on your first HJ and what a first

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...

It really is a beautiful knife, Henrik. Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Got my first HJ fahrtenmesser today...

Thank you all for your kind words
    It's nice to know that the gripplate and diamond is correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast