Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?

Article about: Hi, As a former collector (many years ago) of Third Reich militaria, I have been asked by a friend to authenticate this HJ knife. Edged weapons were never my forte so I would like some exper

?

Default Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?

Hi,
    As a former collector (many years ago) of Third Reich militaria, I have been asked by a friend to authenticate this HJ knife. Edged weapons were never my forte so I would like some expert opinions please.
    At first sight, I believe this knife to be fake. The "etched" motto and RZM marks have no edge, i.e. smooth to the touch. The grips are a bad fit and show signs of filing, the rivets on the grip and scabbard do not look correct.
    However, the HJ diamond rocks and is not glued in place.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions, thanks.
    Derek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?   Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  

Attached Images Attached Images Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?  Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Youth Knife - suspect. Can anyone confirm?
    P
    Many

I think it's ok personally WMW
    Waffenfabrik Max Weyersberg

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I think it's ok personally WMW
    Waffenfabrik Max Weyersberg
    From these pictures I am inclined to agree with John.

You particularly mention the etching being smooth to touch with "no edge". I know what you are getting at but I think that is only a good guide when the item is in virtually unworn condition. 70 years of handling and life on earth is sure to have rendered this almost perfectly smooth to finger tip sensation.

The grips and rivets therein look normal too and you are correct that the HJ diamond being "rockable" is a good sign but also the appearance of the enamel especially the red where the textured pattern underneath looks good too. On many fakes the red enamel is either cloudy / imperfect and the wrong pattern is seen underneath. It isn't mint but the condition overall is good and it seems like a perfectly collectable piece from what we can see here.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Its a good knife.....
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Agreed, looks good to me as well.

?

I dont consider Myself an expert but I do own one or two of these. I would say the knife is good

?

Thanks to one and all for your opinions.

I was misled by the poor fit of the grips and the condition of the rivets. When comparing this knife with a Luftwaffe dagger I still have from my collecting days I always thought that all edged weapons produced at that time were well finished and top quality, I stand corrected.

Thanks again for the help!

?

Derek,

Nice enough WMW transitional hj knife with motto

They used an Ink RZM stamp on these blades for some strange reason that wares off very easily, i guess thats why we see unmarked blades on hj knifes over the years.

See thread on GDC : HJ knife M 7/12 - GermanDaggers.com

Mac 66.

Nothing more to add-a nice Transitional.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks again for all the help.
    One last question, can anyone give me a rough idea of the value?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast