Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

HJ dagger and unknown dagger

Article about: Hi. Just purchased these two daggers at an auction. The first one is obviously a HJ dagger with the diamond replaced. But can someone help me to identify the other. The bakelite handles and

Hippiearchitect
    ?

Default HJ dagger and unknown dagger

Hi.
    Just purchased these two daggers at an auction. The first one is obviously a HJ dagger with the diamond replaced. But can someone help me to identify the other. The bakelite handles and handleshape looks almost the same as the HJ knife without the diamond, but the scabbard is silver metallic and the blade is thinner and shaped different. Pretty sure they are both authentic. Appreciate any help. Think I might have overpaid at 225$ :-P
    HJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown daggerHJ dagger and unknown dagger

2. # ADS

I believe it's a Trench/Combat Knife that was available for Private Purchase during both WWI & WWII...The Blade/Scabbard Configuration are typical for such pieces...Hopefully, one of our Blade Collectors will add their learned expertise...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ dagger and unknown dagger  

Hippiearchitect
    ?

Thank you for your quick answer

Welcome to the Forum, Friend....
    cheers, Glenn

A nice couple of knives. It appears the HJ was denazified, it's a pity someone decided to fill the space as appears the grip has been removed, based on wear around rivet ends.But it is a late production HJ. The trench dagger is interesting as it appears to have a nickel plated scabbard, which is unusual. And the blade has been sharpened more than once, suggesting it was used. If blades could talk? Both would actually clean up well.

hi,

i dont think that this is a "trench knife"..... i think its a private bought "ausgeh-bajonett" from 30ties-40ties. just my opnion.

cheers t.

Here are some random examples of Ausgeh/Extra-Seitengewehr Bayonets...Note the separate leather frog and different blade/scabbard...They also have the Rifle Attachment which the OP's Knife lacks...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ dagger and unknown dagger  
    Attached Images Attached Images HJ dagger and unknown dagger  HJ dagger and unknown dagger 

A thread to support member HippieArch thread on the unknown dagger

Rare early HJ Bayonet

The craft and style are the same
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The "trench" knife or "fighting knife" or whatever you want to call it, is probably 1930's manufactured. These evolved in shape and with less of the birdhead hilt and no fake button IMO places it more 1930's than say 1920's. Also it's clearly not a bayonet, but a dagger.

Here's an interesting older thread, try searching "Imperial fighting knife" (sorry don't have the link)

The emblem pins also simply fell out of the handles on HJ knives due to the 2 brass retaining clips breaking. It may have simply been a casualty ?