Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Hj honor bayonet

Article about: HERDER maker marked,,,is this good or bad?>..

Default Hj honor bayonet

HERDER maker marked,,,is this good or bad?>..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hj honor bayonet   Hj honor bayonet  

Hj honor bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hj honor bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hj honor bayonet

I am no expert but I don"t think it is real.Now lets here from the experts.

I dont like the impression of the Herder logo and company name for one...as you said,,,lets hear from some of the experts

I am always very wary of these. Does the HJ grip insignia "wiggle"?

Cheers, Ade.

Also have a close look around the rivets on the handle and see if theree is any marking as if the handles have been removed, and like Ade says check the wiggle ,cheers Ronnie

The Herder logo on the bayonet is fine IMHO. The bayonet, well it's anyone's guess as any bayonet with unusual grip emblem should be scrutinized very thoroughly. These pieces did exist but in very rare quantities & I would think there are far more fakes out there of this type than legit period pieces. These pictures are nowhere near enough to begin to tell if the piece is OK. At the least, you'd need good shots of the obverse & reverse grip plates & rivets including the emblem. Many period bayonets have been tarted up by the postwar embellishment of adding an HJ emblem.

Knowing if the emblem has any wiggle to it when touched might help as well. Many of these postwar HJ bayonets have the emblem glued into place which is not correct. Originals had the emblem pinned to the hilt though the grip plate. In order to truly know if this bayonet is period, ideally you'd need someone to xray the hilt for you. But you should know the dentist really well before you ask, if you know what I mean.

X-Rays that show that the emblem is glued are a sure sign of a fake, and as Billy stated, the “wiggle” test can help. But it’s not necessarily a guarantee of originality. As can be seen with this example - which in the X-Ray has the wrong type of emblem. FP
    Attached Images Attached Images Hj honor bayonet 

Ah Fred, now that's what I call a well done fake. Whoever did that one really did some work, albeit misguided. Seriously though, most of these HJ pieces I've handled were really so poorly done as to tip a buyer that something was amiss.

?

That's interesting about the wiggle. I heard that a long time ago and wondered if it was true...I guess I got my answer!
    ~dean

Billy, No argument there, as most show signs of fooling around. But every once in a while better done fakes have shown up for sale. With some supposed Marine-HJ “blue” emblem types, and some others that have been sold by well known sources claiming that the “wiggle” makes them legitimate period items coming to mind. Best Regards, Fred