Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HJ knife - are paint runs on the scabbard normal?

Article about: Bought a knife from a forum member here. I received it today and have a question about it. Is it typical for the scabbard paint to exhibit some paint runs? Here are a few pictures, starting

Default HJ knife - are paint runs on the scabbard normal?

Bought an HJ knife from a forum member here. I received it today and have a question about it. This is my first one of these, and researching this online isn't easy as photos seem to not pick these up as easily as you can spot them in person.

Is it typical for the scabbard paint to exhibit some paint runs? Here are a few pictures, starting with where the leather strap attaches to the scabbard, where the two rivets look clean, but the nearby rivets up the strap are worn and kind of rusty. Not sure if that might be an indicator of a repaint job or not?

My curiosity is peaked as it seems the Germans made such high quality pieces that these types of painting errors would be unusual. I hope the forum member that sold it doesn't mind me asking everyone, and I would hate to offend. I know he knows more than I do about these, and I'm probably just being overly concerned. But, these things aren't cheap either!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ knife - are paint runs on the scabbard normal?
    P
    Many

It's my opinion that the sheath has, indeed, been repainted, but from the condition of the metal-the roughness visible in the photos- beneath the finish, it could quite possibly be a period or very early repaint. If it was redone right after the vet brought it back, it could be as old as 70 years ago, so it's almost impossible to be more exact in dating.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Scott,

Just like to throw this thought in here.....You think the end of the leather suspension strap has been over painted? I do too, that's not right is it?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, it looks like the paint is better/thicker where the strap is riveted on to the scabbard. Note the rivets are nice and black compared to that elsewhere. The rest of the strap looks aged like the other parts. These issues were not apparent in the photos I saw, and they are a bit tough to get in a photo if you're not focusing exclusively on them. I don't suspect misrepresentation, as the photos were fine, posted here, and taken before they decided the knife was to be sold. But I'll have to ask the seller as I would have thought they would have spotted the concerns right away. Maybe they know something about it I don't yet.
    Last edited by avenger; 01-24-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It's my opinion that the sheath has, indeed, been repainted, but from the condition of the metal-the roughness visible in the photos- beneath the finish, it could quite possibly be a period or very early repaint. If it was redone right after the vet brought it back, it could be as old as 70 years ago, so it's almost impossible to be more exact in dating.
    If repainted as you mention, how will that affect the value?

It would affect it considerably, as most purists would be put off by it. If it could be proven that it was period done, it would be better, but as pointed out, the leather overpaint makes this questionable.
    William

Not 'if' - it is a repaint. Did the seller not tell you or
    indicate the scabbard was repainted ? The price
    should have reflected this.

Looks more recent as the small rivet at the throat
    is not worn at all. Whoever did it or when,
    should have masked off the leather
    and rivets.........
    Regards,

Steve.

No, they didn't mention a repaint that I recall. So, that seems to be the case here then?

The small throat rivet is a little worn around the edges, but isn't easy to spot in the photo I posted.
    Last edited by avenger; 01-24-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Afraid so..
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Afraid so..
    Dang, that's gutting. I hunted for a good HJ knife all year, and thought this one was going to be "the one".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast