Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first HJ Knife

Article about: In conjunction with another thread I posted recently - http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/flags-...g-back-397520/ - I've acquired the below HJ Knife. It's admittedly quite salty but what it lacks

Default My first HJ Knife

In conjunction with another thread I posted recently - Banner - Vet Bring Back - I've acquired the below HJ Knife. It's admittedly quite salty but what it lacks in looks it makes up for in character.

The only markings I can see that are left on the blade is the RZM M7/80 40. This would indicate the maker Gustav C. Spitzer, Solingen (thanks to Ade's RZM M7 makers code list) from 1940?

I don't intend on cleaning it but was curious if there was anything I should do to prevent further degradation to the blade or the leather. I'm now currently storing it in an antique bookcase that I use as a display case, unsheathed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

My first HJ Knife
    My first HJ Knife
    My first HJ Knife
    My first HJ Knife

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first HJ Knife
    P
    Many

A nice knife with character as you say. I wouldnt do much to this with regard to cleaning or preservation, but if it was my knife I would be inclined to wash the knife with some warm water and a soft brush. I would also put a little clear leather grease on the leatherwork but I wouldnt be surprised if others disagree. Most people on this forum recommend doing nothing to anything in my experience.

Thank you for the suggestions! My more immediate concern is for the leather. It is incredibly brittle and I thought I should apply something to it but wasn't sure what. I like salty items and as untouched as possible but there is a real concern the leather strap may break (which I would think is worse).

If the leather is already brittle I think the best thing to do is not mess with it or touch it anymore if possible, just display it the way it is, that is a very nice piece of history and should hold up fine another 80+ years just like that

Thank you! You're probably right...I'll leave the scabbard alone for now and try not to move it around too much. The good thing is it's out of the trunk and properly stored and displayed now. While lying flat it shouldn't put too much stress on the leather and where it's cracking where it connects to the scabbard.

Hi Ed....Douglas had a great thought on washing the blade...but if not...a damp cloth will do just as well. It would be hard to apply a preserving agent over what is already on the blade. Leave it as is..and I agree also...leave the leather alone as it sounds like it is far gone.
    For any future leather preservation....try using Neets Foot oil..which is made from a pale-yellow fixed oil made by boiling the feet and shinbones of cattle, used chiefly as a dressing for leather. Totally natural..I have preserved a rare SS vertical hanger...which now the leather is supple. you can find it on ebay..amazon..etc. very inexpensive and very worth it. cool miltaria Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

What about Renaissance Wax on the blade? I've never used it, but have heard good things.

Thank you Larry. I will leave the leather alone and clean the blade as you and Douglas suggested.

Thank you for the Beets Foot Oil as well. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

?

I wouldnt bother cleaning up this dagger, its more then Salty and will not do anything with its value eihter.
    I would leave it as it is, salty but a true relic!
    You can do us a favour by posting a good macro from the diamond with maker mark of the blade and a good shot from the back of the grip so we can see how its attachted to the gripplate, then please post it in the:
    Hitler Youth Knife Diamond Variations From 1933-1942

Thanks,
    Ger

Ger- I will do so this week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast