Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Picked this HJ knife up today, what can you tell me about it?

Article about: I'm very new to collecting militaria, though I've done a bit of research on HJ knives, I'm no expert. I was hoping you all could authenticate and tell me more about this knife? The condition

Default Picked this HJ knife up today, what can you tell me about it?

I'm very new to collecting militaria, though I've done a bit of research on HJ knives, I'm no expert. I was hoping you all could authenticate and tell me more about this knife? The condition is a bit rough, but that doesn't bother me too much. I got it for what I consider to be a decent price and had somebody I trust to authenticate it, but I also trust the opinion of this forum and was hoping to see what you all think. Cheers!

Unfortunately the scabbard's button is missing.

Maker is H&F Lauterjung

As you can see the "Blood and Honor!" is very faint, but still visible.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Picked this HJ knife up today, what can you tell me about it?
    P
    Many

It is original but over sharpened to make it look an odd shape.

I had a feeling it had been re sharpened, the shape and feel of the blade is awkward.

Not really that much to tell about it. It was made by H. & F. Lauterjung in Solingen, of course, and is a fairly early Transitional piece from the 1936-38 era or so, as shown by the RZM stamp and the makers mark both being present. It's been through the wringer more than a few times-as the condition shows. A shame, as it would have been worth decent money, as collectors like the early ones with the motto on the blade.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

It is a rough transitional Hitler Youth (Hitler Jugend) knife, denoted by the makers mark and the RZM mark. It is made by H&F Lauterjung, as you already know, a company which appears to still be in business today. As already been stated, the knife has been sharpened to hell, but hey, it is what it is. These were very much used by their original owners, so it obviously had a rough life during the war, or after. It is original, just rough.

Did this knife originally come with the felt piece to keep the hilt from rubbing against the scabbard? If so, are those easy to find as a loose piece?

They all came with a thick leather disk shaped buffer pad, but today many of these are long gone. It would be impossible to locate a period one, in my opinion, but considering that it is not minty and shiny in any case, I would not worry overly much about it. After all, the loss of it's leather happened during it's History, so adding another one would change that!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Good point and thanks for the additional information! Very happy with this purchase as it was only about $75. Is that a price one could expect on a piece of this quality?

Hello DHEagle...welcome to the forum. salty but original. There is much to read in this section which for the HJ collector is very informative. Enjoy your stay. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

These transitional Lauterjung knives come with and without the Motto (more or less before mid 1938 with, after that without the Motto)
    here a Lauterjung double maker without the Motto ( althou not visible)
    This one has the right shape and its bufferpad in place ( note the later bubble leather instead of the thick pad )
    Cheers,
    Ger