Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion

Article about: Show us current HJ knives by past producers..being produced today. Regards Larry Members are invited to input any maker background inf they have on these. Photos are top to bottom (maker mar

Default F.E.S. Scout Knife-Anton Wingen Jr.-Othello HJ knives

"It fosters the dialogue between democratic forces with the aim of bringing about a balance of interests, resolving conflicts and drawing up policy options. It cooperates in this process with partners from various societal groups and organisations, such as trade unions, political parties, educational and research institutions, public administrations, and also city and local governments."

The quote above describes the purpose of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation headquartered in Bonn and Berlin.
    F.E.S. (Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung) "Stiftung" is German for "Foundation".

This is marked on the ricasso of the scout knife in my topic grouping photo with the green handle (last photo from top).

Friedrich Ebert was Germany's first democratically elected President. The foundation in his name was founded in 1925 and helps international cooperation and peace. It currently has a network of branch offices in over 100 countries.

This knife is made by Anton Wingen Jr. 's "Othello" brand in Solingen. Many of these scout knives are pictured below (see photos) all F.E.S. marked or "Othello".

Anton Wingen Jr. was RZM (M7/51) and made a WW2 era HJ knife (also in photos below).

Currently you may be able to purchase these " not so top of the line" post-war HJ style knives through this link:
    ferd-everts-sohn.de

Some "top line" products are "Othello" Black Forest Hunting Bowie's , ROT PUNKT (Wurfmesser-Throwing), and the 1959 "Trapdoor" German Bund Gravity Knife (PRICE: $250).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion   Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  

Attached Images Attached Images Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion
    P
    Many

Wow..I had one of those knives in the 1970s..pictured with the half red and white diamond above...which I still have to this day. Just out of curiosity..who made the knife that I speak of..was it Anton Wingen? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yes Larry, Yours is a genuine Anton Wingen Jr. "Othello" brand. It will not say that on your particular post-war HJ style knife (F.E.S.) marked only.

This information was obtained from a private seller in Solingen who had an ad in the German equivalent of EBay which I needed to translate to English.

These only sell for about $30 but Anton Wingen Jr. is permanently closed and his factory vandalized then demolished so there is only "old stock" available currently.

If understood in the proper perspective and not with disgust the value will certainly increase over many years.

All these years and now finding out. I would of taken better care of it if I knew this information before hand. I will dig mine out and shoot some pics and post them. Thanks for the identity of the red white diamond. Cool militaria regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 03-30-2016 at 02:05 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Jacobs & Co. post-war HJ knife

Jacobs & Co. SA Dagger

"Here is a recent addition to my collection, an SA dagger made by Jacobs & Co. Solingen-Grafrath. It is group marked Ha. Although not my first SA, having sold the two that I've previously owned, this one is a keeper!"

This is a topic that was raised by a member on 04/21/2010 here on this site.

The SA Dagger by Jacobs & Co. during WW2 had a transitional makers mark (RZM M7/118) that is a legitimate manufacturer. (see photos below).

Jacobs & Co. also used RZM M7/118 on HJ knives but is considered to be a fairly uncommon maker. A close-up of the diamond is shown below as well as side by side with scabbard. (see photos below).

This comparison relates to this topic I started with the group knife photo (fourth from right to left) maker mark photo (fourth down from top).

Jacobs & Co. also made stag horn carving sets for dinner parties and festival feasts. (see photos below).
    PRICE $374.

An SA Dagger with both maker mark and RZM ID# sells for $285. (Transitional)

It makes sense that Jacobs & Co. liked festivals because Munich is a fun place and also is the formal office location of the Reichszeugmeisterei (RZM) Quartermaster.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion   Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  

Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion   Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  

Attached Images Attached Images Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion 

I would love to see a separate post in the SA section of the transitional Jacobs dagger if you have more photos. I also noticed what looks to be a plain red diamond in the HJ knife..also worthy in the HJ forum for discussion. I see what you mean in comparison. Regards Larry

Thanks Larry for your interest in post-war and transitional marked German "special" knives and daggers of historical 3rd. Reich designers. HJ style and also SA type seem melded over in modern times between today's "greens" and their Nazi birth.
    German scouting still uses HJ type knives and blazes the trail believing in Teutonic Nationalism and freedom from stifling adult authority. Still felt as a common movement but has several branches, some with shared tenants and similarities with Hitler Youth right wing groups (neo-Nazi's).

Default GEBR. Becker Youth Scout/HJ version

The Kurpfalz Scout Center in the Seewoog Lakeside Recreation Area near Kaiserslautern ....the Ahr Valley region is perfect for this.

The photos below show a new GEBR. Becker "Pathfinder" HJ updated version-PRICE: $80.

see photos below) German Boy and Girl Scouts that enjoy it.

Still currently available 1-(715) 557-1688 has an EBay store!

Attached Images Attached Images Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion 
    Last edited by Larry C; 03-29-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Well Done!! on posting the modern day Gebr Becker Post HJ knife. The BDM were not permitted to wear any type of edged sidearms..which were reserved for the boys. The smaller pic is difficult to see if there is any Knife being worn..so if you can enlarge the photo...or maybe I cant see it...but for the others as well. Regards Larry

"I am relieved to know that."

Here is a photo of the Brannik "Guardians" when they were Nazi allies in 1945. Look the HJ knives and the belt buckles these youngsters are wearing with pride.
    (see photo below)

Sure to win the BSA "Silver Beaver" award.
    Attached Images Attached Images Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion  Post WW2 German Scouting / HJ Knife Transition Discussion 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast