Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Relic HJ dagger opinions please

Article about: I have had this one for years and it appears to have been dug up and had a new hand cut grip restored to it, after some brutal over polishing of the blade. It has traces of the makers mark,

Default Relic HJ dagger opinions please

I have had this one for years and it appears to have been dug up and had a new hand cut grip restored to it, after some brutal over polishing of the blade. It has traces of the makers mark, Emil Voos of Solingen and has a Gesgeshutz mark, which I think might make it an early example.

I assume it is an original but if anyone can supply any more information, date, originality etc. it would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic HJ dagger opinions please   Relic HJ dagger opinions please  

Relic HJ dagger opinions please  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic HJ dagger opinions please
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Relic HJ dagger opinions please

This might have been a bit of a rarity at one time before someone decided to alter a smooth grip HJ into a crude normal one, you dont see many smooth grips about

Quote by davejb View Post
    This might have been a bit of a rarity at one time before someone decided to alter a smooth grip HJ into a crude normal one, you dont see many smooth grips about
    Interesting you say that Dave, as the grip is well fitted, it is just the checkering that looks poor. Thanks for the info as I did not know that such a variant existed.
    Regards,

Jerry

It is possible that this was a period replacement by the user and decided to add his own grip grooves,, just a thought....This HJ is an early version as there is no ricasso present. Rough condition,,Nice maker!! Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

i like the way the rivits look. the checkering looks a bit sloppy, but the fit and rivits look better. some early HJ's did have wood grip plates, but had the diamond and typical checkering pattern. could it be just pre HJ? or some lesser group ?

Many thanks Larry and Andrew for commenting.

I think it is an early and possibly pre HJ example, according to research I have done and the very early types do not always have the HJ logo in the grip as some were adapted from the previous Scout movement which existed before the HJ was founded and was resurrected in the post war period.
    Regards,

Jerry