Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1939 F.W. Holler bayonet with tropical frog...

Article about: I acquired this today at a small gun show from a picker who mines a local flea market. It's a matching FW Holler in pretty nice shape accompanied by a green tropical frog. The seller told me

?

Default 1939 F.W. Holler bayonet with tropical frog...

I acquired this today at a small gun show from a picker who mines a local flea market. It's a matching FW Holler in pretty nice shape accompanied by a green tropical frog. The seller told me the frog was American. The regular crew of gun show rats emphatically assured me it was British. Gotta love the wisdom one can pick up at a gun show. Here are some pics.

Len

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 F.W. Holler bayonet with tropical frog...
    P
    Many

Good example of a high probable real AK set. At least bayonet has date for it to have been used there. Nice set! timothy

Hallo,

yes a very nice set ... a Seitengewehr 84/98 and a Tropenseitengewehrtasche in a nice shape.

This combination were until 1944 used at the southern front line... Italia, north africa, south russia etc...

After mid 1944 this equipment was issued to all other front lines...

no indicator that this was in africa. Can also be used 1944 in france...

the frog is from a commen (but unknown) maker... this type you can find often in a good shape.

Regards

A very nice example for both the bayonet and the frog , the bayonet probably had a leather frog when it was first issued. And I don’t know if the one posted here is marked on the back or not. But virtually identical examples are seen well before 1944 with lightly done (usually unreadable) makers names on the back. Not the later maker codes, or RB numbers. With some from presumably the same maker occasionally having different colored (ie: khaki/sand and an olive drab) webbing components on factory original/assembled frogs that are not reworks or later period ersatz examples. Which suggests that more than one version was being made side by side with the darker green ones. Or alternately, once the darker green batch (or contract) was finished they simply used up the remaining parts with other batches/contracts. Regards, Fred.

?

Hi Fred,
    The frog is without any discernible markings. You're correct , the bayonet was originally in a leather frog but it's been paired with the web piece long enough for the web to have left it's pattern on the metal.

Best regards,
    Len

Hello,

frogs of this maker i know only without a maker... other makers also stamped not.

Regards

Hello Sleepwalker and Len,

The two frogs to the left have the same unreadable evidence of marking on the backside of the belt loop area (where they are subject to wear). With the all green frog being more worn than the hybrid next to it. And other than the change in color for the backpiece and strap, both IMO from the same maker. The two to the right are marked in the same area, but with slight differences - with none of the markings readable.

Best regards to both, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 F.W. Holler bayonet with tropical frog...  

is the frog on the left the same type? others in such color exist with the markings of LAGESA Dresden 1942 and 1943. But the material (structure of the webbing) of the front is a other.

Hello Sleepwalker,

Fortunately I still had some other photos from an old discussion, with the example here the one with the 'sand' backpiece and the green pouch. With the marking on the all green one the same design type and reddish color but more of it missing (and the all green one overall also having more wear which in the photo appears as fading). With the weaving pattern the same for the backpiece and pouch for both, but the straps a little different (besides the color). So I don't know if that helps or not.

Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 F.W. Holler bayonet with tropical frog...  

Hello,

yes it´s difficult... now the color seems to be red... but in the origin this was an blue or a black ink stamp. Because of the sun, water and the years the ink gets red now.

Now... this can be a lot... C. Riese Berlin, Otte Jähnke Berlin... or someone else. But not Lagesa Dresden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast