Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1939 Herder Bayonet

Article about: It has been sharpened and had the grips replaced,looks like it went to war....and lost.

?

Default 1939 Herder Bayonet

It has been sharpened and had the grips replaced,looks like it went to war....and lost.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 Herder Bayonet   1939 Herder Bayonet  

1939 Herder Bayonet  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 Herder Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1939 Herder Bayonet

Thats a nice bayo , it looks pretty much like the standard K98 bayo, except for the design of the Handle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 Herder Bayonet   1939 Herder Bayonet  

1939 Herder Bayonet  

Thats a really nice bayonet! Just about the best wood grip I have ever seen on one (I guess because they were replaced).

Posted a 39 Horester here while back with replaced wooden grips evidently that is done in wartime from damaged bakelite ones or was originally put on by the maker using up left over parts. Looks like grips have been cleaned maybe nice condition s84/98 though. timothy

Prewar and wartime S. 84/98 grips appear to have used European Walnut (like the earlier rifle stocks) which ranged in color from dark to an almost white with later specimens. And they invariably had the clean-out hole/slot between the cross guard and lower screw (for cleaning out mud etc. in the cleaning rod channel inside the handle portion). With the key to the puzzle here perhaps being the type of wood which seems familiar, but I don't want to pre-judge without doing a little checking first. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hi guys,I made the grips myself,as far as I can remember I used some douglas fir,sorry if I caused any confusion.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

You did a awfully good job of them they looked wartime some one had cleaned on heavenly. timothy

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi guys,I made the grips myself,as far as I can remember I used some douglas fir,sorry if I caused any confusion.....Pete.
    Looks good.