Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1945 German bayonet?

Article about: Went to an antiques centre today, to find there was a corner rented out by a local military dealer who runs the military fair in the area. I was assured by the antiques centre owner that he

?

Default 1945 German bayonet?

Went to an antiques centre today, to find there was a corner rented out by a local military dealer who runs the military fair in the area. I was assured by the antiques centre owner that he "knew his stuff". Whilst looking, I came across a wooden block with a mounted bayonet and a plaque reading "A souvenir of the campaign in Germany 1945". It was again marked "German WWII bayonet". Anyone have another opinion before I think about buying it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1945 German bayonet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1945 German bayonet?

how longs the blade roughtly because i think its a k98 bayonet but the blade looks too short (might be a cut down) also bear in mind that if it is a k98 bayonet it could have come from any battle (im shocked he isn't saying d-day)

tom

?

Hmm, blade was probably 8/9 inches long, as far as I can remember, but it could be a little shorter. I'll have to check again next time I'm there.

I wouldn't bother with it, whatever it is it's not WW2 German? The ricasso part of the blade is too big for any TR bayo I've seen, the blade is too short, the markings look dodgy, maybe some sort of export bayo made in Solingen?

?

Urgh. I'm never going to find anything real. Thanks for the help anyway, guys

what do you want thats real (what do you collect im sure we could help)

tom

?

we saw the old pics of SS soldiers with wood handle bayonets

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    I wouldn't bother with it, whatever it is it's not WW2 German? The ricasso part of the blade is too big for any TR bayo I've seen, the blade is too short, the markings look dodgy, maybe some sort of export bayo made in Solingen?
    I agree that the blade form is different to WW2 German bayonets I've seen. It does have the 'TIGER SOLINGEN' marking though, who manufactured K98s during the war. I imagine though that they produced bayonets before and after too.

Don't give up on finding things, you just have to get used to dealing with a lot of junk before you find treasure.

Mat

No problem with K98 bayos with both wooden and bakelite grips, both were used by the Germans in WW2. In this case though the rest of the bayo just ain't what it should be.

?

Well, I'm selling off assets worth about £2500 at the moment so I'm not going to be severely short of money. Basically, I've been buying from the same guy for a year or two and it turns out at least half of his stuff was fake without his knowledge, so I'm looking for some good militaria, e.g. the usual cap badges, helmets, dare I say it daggers (although I'm aware how hard they are to find). I appreciate the offer of help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast