MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?

Article about: I took a look at the link Jim P posted, and to me I saw what could be a fair amount of rust on the scabbard with some other questions still remaining that would have prompted a request (if I

I took a look at the link Jim P posted, and to me I saw what could be a fair amount of rust on the scabbard with some other questions still remaining that would have prompted a request (if I was the one interested in the item) for some better images. And then the fact that because a gun is what ultimately is being sought made me think of the the NRA grading standards, and another one that uses the percentage of original finish system. Modern: “Excellent - New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect (except at muzzle or sharp edges). Very Good - In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches. Good - In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning”.

And then the fact that the factory bluing on an asw (19)44 riveted bayonet, and a 1944 dated Walther P. 38 pistol are roughly comparable (at least IMO), with both having tooling marks underneath the blued finish which scatters light this way and that depending on the angle of the viewer (also in images). Which I think is shown below to some extent with this old image of just the bayonet using an older technology camera indoors and florescent lighting - so the color values may be off a little. With one additional note: The scabbards were sand blasted before bluing which gives them a dull matte finish. While the blades were given a “brush type finish”, that also scatters the light making it appear duller than it is when seen in person (or the angle is changed). Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?
    P
    Many

?

Fred, the pictures you have posted really show what a difference lighting,angles and picture quality make. I would rated this bayo as excellent, but while excellent is a very narrow grade, good is very, very broad. Then you throw in good+, good++.

Jim

It may only be a matter of terminology but the late war rivet grip bayonets by E & F Hörster, codes 44asw and 44sgx are NOT by any means rare. Over 60,000 were made with the 44sgx trademark. And an additional number in excess of 40,000 examples produced after the code was changed to sgx. As the serial number studies indicate, there are several 1944 makers that produced far fewer bayonets than Hörster. They also have a fairly high survival ratio (true for most 44 dates). All of this said, and as other members have stated, the rivet grips are very desirable. Almost every S84/98 collector is interested in having at least one example for their collection. Advanced collectors seek additional examples or to upgrade in condition. Even collectors with only limited interest in the S84/98 seem to like this manufacturing variation. In spite of the collecting market's fluctuations these pieces invariably demand a premium. As interest (and prices) in/for IIIR edged weapons continues to increase I don't think this trend will change. My thoughts only - Lance O. Adams .......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2