Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

84/98 bayonet

Article about: I know absolutely nothing about Bayos, so when a friend asked I thought it better to ask here. The bayo is supposedly a private purchase and apart from the maker's mark it has no other marki

Default 84/98 bayonet

I know absolutely nothing about Bayos, so when a friend asked I thought it better to ask here.
    The bayo is supposedly a private purchase and apart from the maker's mark it has no other markings, which I think is strange.
    Please tell me if this is a genuine item or not so I can put Malcolm's mind at ease. To me it looks like an early pre-war one. Thank you.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 84/98 bayonet   84/98 bayonet  

84/98 bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 84/98 bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 84/98 bayonet

No expert. Seems real. Perhaps a commercial bayo?

k98 bayonets data and registry

Looks like the AWS maker mark. Sure there are no eagle stamps on the handle, button, or scabbard pommel?

No other markings I am told. What exactly is a commercial bayonet?
    Is that the same as a private purchase?
    Tom

I'd say it's an export bayo

Hi Tom, this type of combat bayonet was not intended for private purchase by an individual soldier. Why bother? You were issued with these for free.

A commercial contract would be intended for a foreign power or the like.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Rene. On the site that drdata gave a link to it says that this is a late war item. My question then is, who were the Germans exporting bayonets to at that time of the war? Excuse the silly question.
    Also on the site mentioned, I found a Police bayo that looks the same as this one.
    Tom

Okay Ade, I replied before your answer came through. The question still stands. Who would they have been exporting this to at the late stage of the war?
    If it was an early type, say pre war, then it would make sense.
    Second question, if this was a commercial model as stated, then it would stand to reason that it would not have been used by the Germans themselves?
    Please excuse these questions, but as stated earlier, I have absolutely no knowledge of these items.
    Tom

Hi Tom, I think we today find it hard to believe that the Germans were still exporting arms and equipment when they were losing the war. Portugal, Finland, Bulgaria, Rumania, et al all were clients of arms etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Hi Rene. On the site that drdata gave a link to it says that this is a late war item. My question then is, who were the Germans exporting bayonets to at that time of the war? Excuse the silly question.
    Also on the site mentioned, I found a Police bayo that looks the same as this one.
    Tom
    G'day Tom
    The real expert on these is AndyB he'll be able to help as he is the 84/98 bayonet database keeper for BCN "Bayonet Collectors Network"

Looks good to me.

There were quite a number of German organisations equipped with these bayonets - Customs, Post Office, Railways as well as Police.

Many were marked - others I suspect weren't.

Others have mentioned the export business which still went on during the war.

Yes, the Germans could have used the equipment themselves, but equally I suspect the foreign currency obtained allowed them to pay for goods from overseas.

Regards

Richie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast