Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

84/98 Horster Nice Condition

Article about: 84/98 by EuF Horster dated 39 bayonet and scabbard same maker ser no don't match so non matching. Bayonet itself is in good conditiion blade may have reblued. Scabbard screw has been replace

Default 84/98 Horster Nice Condition

84/98 by EuF Horster dated 39 bayonet and scabbard same maker ser no don't match so non matching. Bayonet itself is in good conditiion blade may have reblued. Scabbard screw has been replaced. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 84/98 Horster Nice Condition   84/98 Horster Nice Condition  

84/98 Horster Nice Condition   84/98 Horster Nice Condition  

84/98 Horster Nice Condition  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 84/98 Horster Nice Condition
    P
    Many

?

A nice set Timothy, the mismatched serial numbers are so readily found.
    One day I would like to find a matched set for my small collection.

Brad.

?

The grips are replacements in war probably.Should be dark plastic grips there.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    The grips are replacements in war probably.Should be dark plastic grips there.
    Got to disagree with that one I have had factory wood grips on 1937 to as late as 1940 on 84/98 then some of them later on around 44 had wood grips. Both were used in late 30's. especially using up stock I have had 84/98 bayonets with bakelite as early as 38 and 39. timothy

With more or less 17 makers in a given period I think that also has to be taken into account. With 1938 the time that saw the very widespread use of the black Bakelite grips. Which is not to say that you won't find a very late 1937 with factory matching Bakelite (but most 1937's are later period replacements). Or some other exceptions, but they are relatively rare. With circa close to the "u" block in 1942 Hörster going to wood, and then in 1943 with the "zz" block, using red Bakelite. With the bayonet here a 1939 with turned screws and a replacement round head scabbard mouthpiece retaining screw (as was noted). And absent an examination for matching markings which should be on the inside of the grip plates, I'm inclined to go along with AndyB. And the overall condition is not that bad from what I see, and preferred (IMO) to some of the grossly fooled around with examples that we see from time to time. Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 11-21-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Missed the wartime comment by Andy so when would they have put wood on it mid war or so if the bakelite were damaged? and I have a 37 and 38 both wood gripped and a WKC that was 1937 to 1940 as most stated on here when I posted it. All of them I have by year from 1940 to 1944 are bakelite and some 43 t0 44 dated are all red bakelite. timothy

Quote by timothy View Post
    Missed the wartime comment by Andy so when would they have put wood on it mid war or so if the bakelite were damaged? and I have a 37 and 38 both wood gripped and a WKC that was 1937 to 1940 as most stated on here when I posted it. All of them I have by year from 1940 to 1944 are bakelite and some 43 t0 44 dated are all red bakelite. timothy
    I think that it really depends on the maker, and if it was a period rework or not. With the bayonet posted here an all (armory renumbered) matching bayonet with a 1927 date WUK blade, "K" date scabbard, circa 1938 or later black Bakelite grips, and a Weimar flash guard that came out of Norway. And many times we see wood grips on period reworks. With for example WKC (cvl) - on new production they went to wood in 1942 through 1944 - but the "mid-war commercials" (or 'other government authority' if we want to get technical) by WKC they went from a black plastic to red. And with AndyB the keeper of the BCN data base. I've only disagreed with him perhaps once or twice on specific examples where I had physical evidence of one of the legitimate "exceptions to the rule" that seem to pop up every once in a great while. Best regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 84/98 Horster Nice Condition  

Yes and thanks Fred I misread Andy's meaning I thought he was referring to Post War job yes I totally agree anything on these can be found wartime you are right about the Manf and I personally think they also didn't throw anything away but used it in either reworks or otherwise. Thanks for your expertise it is always welcome I have a lot of 84/98 and will try to post some more as time allows. timothy