Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

98|05

Article about: Hello! WW1 German 98|05 mauser butcher - SCHULTE & COMPANIE, GEVELSBERG. Who knows what the letters mean A.W. Regards Dok

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A.W. may not mean Anker Werke or Arthur Wingen. That's the curious question. Is it even a maker mark?

The point I'm making is if A.W. means something other than a maker mark if could have relevance to our Waffen-Loesche knife thread where the A.W. also appears and is assumed to be a maker mark. It could be a manufacturing standard mark.
    As Richie pointed out #5 shows the tang which clearly shows an Anker Werke logo....

Ger
    98|05

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 98|05
    P
    Many

Dok
    ?

Attachment 1153411Attachment 1153412

A couple of Stahlblumes to add to the pot. No A.W.
    Marking R.K. is another mystery
    On the second photo this Ferd. Schleutermann, another manufactur.

The marks A.W and R.K. on the Schulte & co marked blade may simply be as Larry suggested, sub-contractors who made part of the bayonet under the Schulte & co contract. I seem to recall some S98/05 bayonets do have a different maker mark on both sides of the ricasso, and it's believed in those cases one firm made the blade, while the other the hilt and assembled the lot. That might also explain why the Schleutermann one has no other initials, perhaps they did everything "in house".

All of these 98/05 bayonets being made for government use, things got a little crazy during the 1st World War. Some government issue blades not only having private maker marks, but also having a government arsenal mark (as seen on the rifles and pistols the arsenals manufactured). The government expropriating items originally made for foreign governments, and adopting the crude "ersatz" bayonets etc. etc. Subcontracting being one of the ways that they used to deal with the immediate need for arms.

Adding A. Werth as another name to be added to the list besides Anton Wingen (Arthur was one of his sons) as Imperial era makers that made the transition to the post WW I era - at this moment in time based on the tang marking Anker Werke seems to be a good fit. Best Regards, Fred

?

Arthur Wingen is here probably not real, Anker Werke is more real because of the logo under grip.b.r.Andy

Dok
    ?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Arthur Wingen is here probably not real, Anker Werke is more real because of the logo under grip.b.r.Andy
    I think the same. Then what are the letters R.K.

Dok
    ?

And finally, I bought this. Very long sought this. I think that is very rare. What can be said about the letters "SS"
    98|0598|05
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 98|05   98|05  

"What can be said about the letters "SS"

Probably not what you might think. But a nice bayonet, cleaned up, but a nice Stahlblume.

Dok
    ?

"What can be said about the letters "SS"

Probably not what you might think. But a nice bayonet, cleaned up, but a nice Stahlblume.
    No, I don't think about that......

?

Default AW

This excert is from John Walters Sword and bayonet makers of imperial Germany if it helps ,Paul.Ps ifi am breaking any copyright laws by posting this please remove,.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 98|05  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast