Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice over Bayonet Markings

Article about: Dear All I recently posted pictures of my first bayonet, I have now carefully removed the wooden handles to look at the markings. What I have found is the number on the blade and scabbard is

?

Default Advice over Bayonet Markings

Advice over Bayonet MarkingsAdvice over Bayonet MarkingsAdvice over Bayonet MarkingsAdvice over Bayonet Markings

Dear All

I recently posted pictures of my first bayonet, I have now carefully removed the wooden handles to look at the markings. What I have found is the number on the blade and scabbard is the same, but on the metal under the wooden grips is another number (see photo) this number is also on the bayonet catch when you push the button out.

Can anyone explain the meaning of these numbers, also has anyone got any advice on how one is able to read the other numbers under the eagle stap marks on handle. I have try a simple magnifying glass but its still too small.

As always any help or advice appreciated.

Regards
    Wolsey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice over Bayonet Markings
    P
    Many

Hello,

the number on the tang under the grips you can find by a matching example also on the backside of the grips, the fire protection and the press stud.

The number on the blade is like a serial number. This kind of number replaced in 1934 the unit marking.

here 6965 j = j is the Blocknumber to simplify the number when they get to large ...j the 10´th letter in the alphabet. So the total number is 106.965. This this exampel ist the 106.965 example for the order of the Waffenamt from the Maker WKC out of the year 1937.

WKC is the trademark of Weyersberg Kirchbaum & Co. Solingen.

The other letters on the tang have no special meanings. They are inspection marks of the working men who produce them... internal factory marking.

The little eagle mark with the Number is the proof of the Waffenamt (WaA). The Number is the number of the inspection group. This group itself was responsible for a special area.
    This proof is not a property marking... this means only the bayonet is well made due the regulations and usable in service.

Regards

?

Thank you Sleepwalker for such a detailed reply, I am pleased I joined this forum mow I have started to collect bayonets as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge that members are willing to share.

I hope in years to come I am going to be able to put more back into the forum group.

Regards
    Wolsey
    ps any tips for seeing the WaA marks, whilst I can see them I cannot make out the ? Number under them

it must be WaA 253

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

the number on the tang under the grips you can find by a matching example also on the backside of the grips, the fire protection and the press stud.

The number on the blade is like a serial number. This kind of number replaced in 1934 the unit marking.

here 6965 j = j is the Blocknumber to simplify the number when they get to large ...j the 10´th letter in the alphabet. So the total number is 106.965. This this exampel ist the 106.965 example for the order of the Waffenamt from the Maker WKC out of the year 1937.

WKC is the trademark of Weyersberg Kirchbaum & Co. Solingen.

The other letters on the tang have no special meanings. They are inspection marks of the working men who produce them... internal factory marking.

The little eagle mark with the Number is the proof of the Waffenamt (WaA). The Number is the number of the inspection group. This group itself was responsible for a special area.
    This proof is not a property marking... this means only the bayonet is well made due the regulations and usable in service.

Regards
    Like the German rifles and pistols, the numbers in blocks with (and w/o) letters for most practical purposes are considered to be serial numbers that were sometimes entered into a soldier’s paybook. With some differences between earlier and later bayonets (and by maker) with what is considered to be an assembly number for fitted parts so that they could be properly reassembled after bluing and other processing (like the guns) - that is in addition to the serial number, and varies by maker and time period. With the earliest bayonets sometimes having mixed Waffenmants (ie: Inspectorates) on completely original bayonets which gradually diminished to single commission numbers - and closer to the end just a few Waffenamts as the inspectors were reduced in number. Which was quite a change from some of the early bayonets that had just about everything Waffenamted except the smallest parts like the screws.

And as was mentioned (like the guns) the various miscellaneous internal factory markings. With the one notable exception to that IMO being the large “V” on the interior of the tang (uppermost lefthand image) which is probably from the forging die. As an identifier as they had a finite life span - so that they knew which forging die needed to be replaced.

With the one area where there might be some argument is why are Waffenamts not considered to be de facto government property markings with various new manufacture items?? Best Regards, Fred

?

Thank Fred for the extra information, I have so much to learn.
    Regards
    Wolsey

Wolsey first off nice WKC early bayonet be careful removing grips as some I have found out the hard way will warp in time and will not fit back on right. Obvisouly you had no problems with this. If you see them with rivits and not screws they will not come off without breaking the fragile bakelite grips. Just some experience I have had. timothy

?

Dear Timothy
    Thanks for the advice re grips, they went back fine. However if I had know that before I had started I don't think I would have taken the risk.

It's just that I had seen pictures of them like that so assumed it would be fine.

Any ideas where to obtain display stands on the Internet for these type of bayonets....??

Regards
    Wolsey

No Wolsey I really don't a see a lot of them using the small clear plastic medal, badge type stands for them I assume they are on Amazon as I looked at some on there. There is a nice molded from plastic upper part of rifles K98 for German, Enfield, etc that look neat as the lugs fit the bayonets I haven't found them in the states but I was told they are on UK site maybe some of our UK friends would know.timothy

Hi Wolsey..alot of great input here form the Gents about your bayo!!......here is a link to BillSheas site..and scroll down to the bottom of the page..and you will see some plastic type stands that may work for your bayo. Check it out. The contact information for Bill is at the top of the link page. The stands are a bit pricey...but they are very nice. These stands were created especially for dagger display...and it would be best to contact Bill himself to see if it will hold a K98 bayo. I dont see why not! heres the link. Regards Larry

Edged Weapons and Accessories
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast