Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on purchasing a frog

Article about: Dear All First, thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum after my first posting (New Collector - My First Bayonet - Comments Please - Good or Bad). After looking at the forum, I have

?

Default Advice on purchasing a frog

Dear All

First, thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum after my first posting (New Collector - My First Bayonet - Comments Please - Good or Bad).

After looking at the forum, I have decided my first Bayonet would benefit from a 'Frog'.

Could anyone recommend a good person to purchase on from and what should I expect to pay for one to match my bayonet.

Once again thank you for any advice.

Regards
    Wolsey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on purchasing a frog
    P
    Many

For those who did not see the first post it is a 1937 dated Mauser rifle bayonet. I see bayonet Ledertasche at militaria shows on a regular basis. You want a simple combat style frog for this example. Leather will be cheaper than cloth and a generic dismounted type would also be more affordable and appropriate. I saw dozens of them at the Allentown Ag Hall show for 60 to 125 US dollars. Cost is derived from condition and markings. If you get one and decide to insert the sheath you must be careful not to tear the leather. A tongue depressor or something similar helps to get the retainer through the leather. Try a militaria show first. NH

?

Thanks Neil for the advice, I am however based in the UK and I have never seen any for sale. Any suggestions on internet sites to look at as I am concerned there appears to be a lot of fakes when you look for bayonets and accessories.

Kind regards
    Wolsey

Agree with Neil Herver if you can find one at a show you can examine it in hand however there are a lot of sites that sell them from forty dollars to several hundred depending on what they are and the markings on them. That is good advice to be careful putting the sheath stud through the hole of the frog as it takes a little force to accomplish I have tore more than one that 70 75 year old leather does not hold up very good. I have a friend that successfully does it for me and he uses a common spoon handle very carefully to put it through the frog hole. Be on guard there are plenty of repo's out there to watch for study the real ones first. Good luck. timothy

All good advice here, just stay away from the poisonous tree frog, I hear one touch can be deadly!