Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Anything special about this k98 bayonet?

Article about: Hi I have been looking at German bayonets and waiting for "the one" finally I decided to get this one pictured and to cut a long story short there seemed to be a quite few other pe

Default Anything special about this k98 bayonet?

Hi I have been looking at German bayonets and waiting for "the one" finally I decided to get this one pictured and to cut a long story short there seemed to be a quite few other people interested but when the dealer got back to his stall I managed to ask him for a price first he seemed rushed and said £100 (approx $170) I then noticed other people talking to the dealer after I bought the bayonet and walking off looking disappointed and I believe they were waiting for this bayonet. Anyway just wanted to share some pictures and see what you guys think. I am not trying to get a valuation to sell it on I want to keep it but I dont know much about these to be honest and want to know if I got a good deal. Blade is dated 39 and made by F.HERDERA.SN number 1597 scabbard seems more interesting as I believe it has a Kriegsmarine number and prefix dating it to 1935 (S/174G) with a ser number of 3918 All parts inc frog have WA stamping also. Thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anything special about this k98 bayonet?   Anything special about this k98 bayonet?  

Anything special about this k98 bayonet?   Anything special about this k98 bayonet?  

Anything special about this k98 bayonet?   Anything special about this k98 bayonet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anything special about this k98 bayonet?
    P
    Many

?

I would say it is worth about what you paid for it, especially with a frog. However the scabbard does not match the bayonet and is not kreigsmarine. The S number that you see is code for the manufacturer, in this case WKC ( Weyersberg Kirschbaum and Co.) and the G is a date code for 1935. How is the frog marked?

All in all, not a bad start into the interesting world of 98k collecting!

Jim

Jim

?

As Jim said not a bad price with the frog. A nice frog can bring $50+. Personally I would have waited for one with matching numbers but you can always upgrade in the future. It is a nice looking bayonet.

Thanks for the feedback guys sorry but all I can make out o the frog is a WA and BURG or BORG with another word above but can make it out or take a good photo. I have another frog that I found in the cellar of a barracks in 2008 I THINK its German but has no markings any ideas?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anything special about this k98 bayonet?   Anything special about this k98 bayonet?  

Anything special about this k98 bayonet?  

?

The above frog is Yugoslavian.

Jim

Cheers Jim makes you wounder how these things get there!

?

The bayonet was refurbished postwar probably , dont believe the blueing is right then,or was heavily brush cleaned, the frog as mentioned is yugoslavian M1948. The scabbard is correctly idenfied with no visible link to KM.

Hello,

yes this is a jugoslawian M1948 frog.