Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet knife etched to determine originality PUMA

Article about: Hello. Please see a photo of this parade bayonet of a knife. According to the photo, etching does not cause rejection for me. But how original is it? I can’t find the exact same pattern fo

?

Lightbulb Bayonet knife etched to determine originality PUMA

Hello. Please see a photo of this parade bayonet of a knife.
    According to the photo, etching does not cause rejection for me.
    But how original is it? I can’t find the exact same pattern for Cougars.
    Sorry for the quality of the photo, it was not me who took the photo
    bayonet knife etched to determine originality - Google Photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bayonet knife etched to determine originality PUMA
    P
    Many

IMO an authentic Puma Luftwaffe remembrance motto etching. Not commonly seen but a known type.

The bayonet I think is good, but the frog is wrong for a couple of reasons with this bayonet, and a later addition. Best Regards, Fred

?

it looks like a Klaas motive etch, anyway probably correct on PUMA blades, as mentioned by FP frog is for S84/98 bayonet. b.r.Andy

It's a common mistake to assume the Puma remembrance etchings had their origin with the Robt. Klaas company. The use of swirling vines as "book ends" are a feature of both companies. Klaas did licence other companies to use their etching designs, but Puma-Werk was not one of them. In fact there seems to be some rivalry between Puma and Klaas as to who invented the "swirling vines", and the use of the "Ges. Gesch" mark on this design, something Klaas did also suggests this rivalry.
    But this actual design in it's totality is unique to Puma KS98 and not identical to any Klaas etchings and Puma did not licence it's use by other Solingen makers. So 100% Puma design and not Klaas at all. This is all clearly explained in Wayne Techet's book.

?

I am not expert on etches, anyway the panels are present on early Klaas KS98 much more earlier as on Pumas, i personally believe it was registered by them, used by others with reg.pattern, when Puma added the LW eagle or other parts to it, its possible they use it as own design, for details should be looked the origin catalogs of both firm probably a comparation done side by side for various etches.

A lot of speculation and opinion there Andy.

?

When You mean, i personally dont have any of the period catalogs of Puma or R.Klaas to comparation as this is the real source,when published there the etch motives and dating, W.Techet has a great book, anyway there could be some errors too. The mentioned piece looks ok, and i assume here are better experts about this area.