Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

bayonet questions k98

Article about: Hello Folks, i have 2 questions. what the letters RBN on the back of the frog stand for ? and what is the difference between a frog with a grip strap and those with out. i have seen more fro

?

Default bayonet questions k98

Hello Folks,
    i have 2 questions. what the letters RBN on the back of the frog stand for ? and what is the difference between a frog with a grip strap and those with out. i have seen more frogs with out one than with one. any help is welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bayonet questions k98   bayonet questions k98  

bayonet questions k98   bayonet questions k98  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bayonet questions k98
    P
    Many

Default Re: bayonet questions k98

Andrew, what type bayonet is this? My wife gave me the same one for Christmas but it has a different scabbard. Mine only has numbers on the blade. You called it a "frog", its a new term to me. Its the first bayonet I've gotten and I'm trying to learn. Thanks, John

?

Hi John,
    it is a bayonet for a german k98 mauser. the term "frog" is for the leather hanger on the scabbard. i hope that helps.
    andrew

Andrew, thanks for the quick reply, makes me feel better. My wife buys me militaria as gifts, she really means well but she knows less than me, but she has been very very lucky and has gotten some wonderful items. One question, the scabbard is metal on mine without a leather hanger, could this possibly be original or an "add on"? Thanks again, John

?

Hi John.
    nice wife you have to buy you these things. with out seeing pictures of what you have, it just isent possable for me to say what it might be. there are other bayonets that look like these. but the markings on them tell a better story. i hope you can post some pictures.
    andrew

Hi Andrew, I'll try to get some pics today and post them, was going to do it anyway in about a week but saw your identical bayonet here. Leaving for a week in Grand Cayman tomorrow and was going to do it on my return but will try to do it today. Will do my best. Thanks, John

?

here is nice german SG84/98 bayonet, called sometimes 98k, the bayonet made by Elite Diamant, what for year is there? the RBN is for Reichs Betriebs Nummer, also a number of plant of the producer, unfortunally it was not solved to this time, the securing strap was used in first period on mounted units, and since late 30ies probably on all units. this frog is probably post 1942 production.

?

thanks for the reply Andy.
    the spine of the blade is dated 40 and i know the frog was with the bayonet when it was brought back. but that may not mean much.