Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Black finished WKC bayonet

Article about: Here is a real nice WKC bayonet with the rarely seen black finish. It has the early WK & C trademark.

?

Default Black finished WKC bayonet

Here is a real nice WKC bayonet with the rarely seen black finish. It has the early WK & C trademark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black finished WKC bayonet   Black finished WKC bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black finished WKC bayonet
    P
    Many

Hi Kirby.....parade bayonets with a black finish is very uncommon...which I am very sure this was a post war repaint. WKC is a common producer of parade bayos. The quillion arm..aka Crossguard is also painted black. Wait for other opinions form the Bayo guys. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

There was an order by the German high command later in WWI for all front line officers to return their swords to the rear and replace them with smaller personal sidearms like the KS98. These bayo's were to be blackened for obvious reasons. This is the right style of KS98 from the right time frame, hard to judge the paint from pictures, but I would be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. In hand I'm sure you would be able to judge the age of the paint much better.

Jim

?

Thanks for the input. After searching around Every black finished bayonet I have found was a WKC. I have looked at a few of these at the SOS and the Max and this looks right in hand.
    Last edited by kirby; 09-07-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Interesting information Jim ...these blackened bayos are not that common...but I take your word for it..if there was an order to paint them.

My Question:..is there some reference pertaining to this type of bayo listed in any current bayo references? I like to be able to have something supportive..of this anomaly. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

HMMMMM. It looks I need to add something to my collection of bayonets!!!
    That is a great looking bayonets Kirby. Congrats

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Interesting information Jim ...these blackened bayos are not that common...but I take your word for it..if there was an order to paint them.

My Question:..is there some reference pertaining to this type of bayo listed in any current bayo references? I like to be able to have something supportive..of this anomaly. Regards Larry
    The more I look, the order was to return swords and officers were to wear the 98/05. Officers didn't like the "butcher" option and privately purchased the ks98. Now I'm starting to wonder if I am remembering the "blackening" wrong, as to whether it was an order or an option chosen by frontline officers. I'll do some more digging. If it was an order youy would think there would be more of them
    \

Jim

Hi Jim.,,, something substantial would be appropriate. Either an order...something posted in a reference..other threads or sightings. My worries are thoughts can become believable by some who choose not to research and rely on what was heard or read. Not enough IMO..as the #1 goal here is to provide as much truth as possible. Someone reading this now will run out to Walmart with a dimwit idea..of buying black spray paint..and painting Uncles war trophys. Look what happens to all those authentic dress bayos..with bogus etches. ...LOL enough of my rant..just making a point

What ever you can find.would be great Best Regards Larry

?

I know what you are talking about. The same can be said of misinformation, if it is repeated enough, before long it tends to become fact to a large number of collectors. The last thing I want to be is a spreader of misinformation. I have a passion for this hobby and try to absorb as much info as possible, problem is "my" hard drive isn't as reliable as my computers

Jim

The only thing I can ad is I have seen a number of the "Blackie" KS98 seems to be the only model I have seen in a bayonet there are black ones in the M-89 sword it is in Wheeler's German bayonet book he states that it is unknown why this finish for sure some have the theory it was for wear in the trench by officers or NCO's and the finish was tonned down as not to be so noticible in combat another theory is it was done in the Weimar period to symbolize a time of mourning for the Weltkrieg WW1 and the third one is it was just a optional finish for some reason I have only seen the KS98 in this color maybe someone else has seen other WW1 Weimer era bayonets in black. I have a blued Weimer rework in 98/05 but not black finished. I like them and have yet to acquire one that one has the three rivet grips that was common on a lot of WW1 KS98. timothy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast