Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?

Article about: That frog is dangerous looks too good. Nice information Sleepwalker again that frog needs posted in a fake section some where. timothy

?

Default Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?

I acquired this WW2 German Army bayonet this past weekend. Searching the internet the best id I can make is a M1884/98III Riveted Grip.(Plastic Grips). It possibly was made in 1944 by Horster & Co. in Solingen.

Can anyone help in identifying the various numbers shown on the knife and scabbard most of which I guess to be possibly production run or inspector numbers.

I am especially interested in the picture with "3370" and a stylized "V" with what appears to be a two pronged fork design on the upper right part of the "V". Could this be a maker's mark vice an inspector's mark and if a maker's mark who is the manufacturer?
    Tnx

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?   Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?  

Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?   Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?  

Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?   Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?  

Attached Images Attached Images Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?
    P
    Many

?

You may find some info here, k98 bayonets data and registry

Hello W4 looks like you acquired to nice K98 Bayonets......and member Mpnox provided a very resourceful list of makers and dates....if there are still questions the seasoned bayonet collectors will help you out with further information.
    The bayo frogs may need a second opinion as Im not sure of their construction..if it is German related. Have patience and I will keep your thread at the top until someone answers your questions which will be shortly. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'm seeing a 1941 date on the bayonet from the pics. It is a mis-match set.
    '4824' is the scabbard serial number. '3370' is the serial of the bayonet.
    The 'v' is it's production range - after 10,000 bayonets were produced,
    the letter 'a' was added, and so on.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf is correct in every thing original 84/98 mismatched bayonet and scabbard but having said that they are often found that way scabbards got mixed around. I have a lot of them. Frog looks good. bayonet maker is next to the 41 date I can't make it out could be ASW All in all nice set. timothy

It's not a riveted example as these are rare and sort after! it's missing the screw nut, well looks to be, need a shot of the other side. Here's one of my early wood grip missing the nut
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-27-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added text & pic

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    It's not a riveted example as these are rare and sort after! it's missing the screw nut, well looks to be, need a shot of the otherside
    I agree,it`s a 41asw and the nuts are missing from the handle screws.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nothing to really add for the bayonet, but I'm not 100% on board for the frog and will need to do some checking. Having a vague recollection of some frogs from India(?) with a reasonably good simulation of the marking, but bad rivets and leather that was not quite right. Fred

Hello,

yes the frog is a fake / copy

Regards

the scabbard is a yugoslavian rework, because of the number on the frog stud.... may be the bayonet too

the number for example means: 3370 v - 41 asw = the 223.370 example out of 1941 from the maker E & F Hörster Solingen for the Waffenamt Kontrakt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast