Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Clamshell dress bayonet opinions

Article about: For myself it's not an area of extensive specialization, but I tend to agree with some of the statements also having some concerns where it does not look like I think it should to a reasonab

For myself it's not an area of extensive specialization, but I tend to agree with some of the statements also having some concerns where it does not look like I think it should to a reasonable degree of certainty. And one that IMO could be explored to make a better determination. Not necessarily in order - with the first being the scabbard (as was mentioned) which IMO should be leather with metal fittings. The frog which to me looks more like a standard size service frog instead of a smaller dress type. The knot(?) which perhaps Sleepwalker can identify. And the blade's TM (also mentioned) which to me seems to be a little later than I think it should be for a Weimar piece. And as for previous discussions I remember some of them - but am 'drawing a blank' (ie: no immediate recollection) of this particular one at the moment - but a high end fake is not something that I'm ruling out at the moment given the things that seem to be out of sync. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Clamshell dress bayonet opinions
    P
    Many

Let's look a little rivets.
    They look newer than the rest parts of the bayonet.
    Usually it should be the other way around, unless rivets are aluminum.

Regards
    Vedran

The clamshell guard pommel rivets and badge are all non magnetic, the badge is quite loose to the touch.

z4

Can you upload some more photos of rivets?
    From which material are made​​? (Judging by the photos, it looks like nickle plated, but base material?)

Regards
    Vedran

Hope these picture are good enough I only have a ipad.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Clamshell dress bayonet opinions   Clamshell dress bayonet opinions  

For me definitely look newer, than the rest of the bayonet handle.
    It also worries me stag fit.
    Bayonet blade, looks like later Horster dress one:

Clamshell dress bayonet opinions

That's my opinion, I do not intend to offend anyone.

Regards
    Vedran

Just out of lazy curiosity, just how much Do these Weimar clamshells Sell for, that someone would go through an enormous amount of trouble to make a fake one? Are they really Worth that kind of money?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would say that it is partial frankenstein bayonet.
    Otherwise prices of originals range about 1500 - 2000USD.

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-01-2014 at 02:19 PM.

I have been looking on the net to see if I can find any others that match this one but no luck yet.

z4

First my apologies to Fred....it has been a long time since I have seen this particular bayonet and thread..and that long ago thread on the GDC had since disappeared...when their file system crashed a few years ago...losing many threads from the beginning days of that site.
    Below are 3 logo variants Horster used ( GDC photo ) on their dress bayonets.

also included is another bayo with a Police wreath used ..and the pommel enhancing is very different that the one above. I am curious of the crest placed on the grip of the Horster bayonet. has this been seen before..and if it has ..is it consistent with other crests. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Clamshell dress bayonet opinions  
    Attached Images Attached Images Clamshell dress bayonet opinions 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast