Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Coincidental Run in with some K-98s

Article about: I was in Northern Michigan this past week on vacation. I decided to read "Black Edelweiss", which was written by a man who served in Waffen SS-Gebirgsjager-Regiment, part of the 6t

Default Coincidental Run in with some K-98s

I was in Northern Michigan this past week on vacation. I decided to read "Black Edelweiss", which was written by a man who served in Waffen SS-Gebirgsjager-Regiment, part of the 6th SS Mountain Division. There is at least one thread on this forum that discuses it, so I won't go into much detail on that other than to say I liked it.

I used every spare minute for 3 days to finish it. The book is full of imagery from the author's experiences in the extreme outdoor cold weather conditions. At the same time I was reading the book, the area I was in was experiencing the coldest stretch I had experienced in nearly 20 years of visits. One night it was forecast to be -25F without windchill. I ended up spending the night out in my hunting blind one night for a little "time with nature". It was one of the coldest experiences I've had. I was out in the cold for 15 hours. It took me 24 hours to feel normal again after coming back into the heat of indoors.

In concert with reading the book, I was very much mentally in the mountains with the author for those 3 days.

On the second day of reading the book, we went to an Italian restaurant called Vivio's, in the nearby city of Indian River.

I sit down to eat and after a few moments I look up and I see 2 K-98's nailed to the wall, crossed as a decoration. The next window over had 2 more bayonets crossed as well (2nd pic only), one of which does appear to be a K-98 as well. The lighting wasn't great and I was using my wife's phone but here they are.

I didn't see any other relics anywhere else in the place - all stuffed game animals and old snow shoes.

I thought it was a funny coincidence.

Sorry the first 3 pics are rotated 90 degrees, I'm still on vacation and working from my I-pad mini.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coincidental Run in with some K-98s   Coincidental Run in with some K-98s  

Coincidental Run in with some K-98s   Coincidental Run in with some K-98s  

Last edited by Historian76; 01-05-2014 at 12:58 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Coincidental Run in with some K-98s
    P
    Many

well spotted.

Strange decorations for a spaghetti house!..

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Strange decorations for a spaghetti house!..
    I was thinking the same thing. Many people settled in Northern Michigan after WW2 to get away from it all. It's very conceivable that someone involved in WW2 opened this place originally. It's also possible that someone grabbed them in a flea market, but they do look to have been there for some time.

Hi Historian76..I rotated the pics for you. These little quaint restaurants have alot of character and history to them. Those who have had them for 50 yrs + always serve the best food. Love em!!....and with that many years a story. It might be beneficial to get some more history on that place..you may be surprised if there is a WW2 connection. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for doing that Larry. I think I will look into the spot a bit more on that thought. Thanks again.

From the main website page:

"The main dining room was erected in 1938 and at that time the business was run by Fred Bradley. It was the Gypsy Tavern and advertised in the local paper as the House of Sandwiches. Fred Bradley died in 1939, and Minnie ran the business until it was acquired by Docker. Then Quick's bought it from Docker's, and Vivio's purchased it from Quick's. John and Theresa Vivio started the Italian cuisine and upon their sale of the restaurant to Middleton's in 1973, it has remained the same cuisine and atmosphere henceforth. We are still in the same building and proud of it!"

From wikipedia about Fred Bradley:

"Frederick Van Ness Bradley (April 12, 1898 – May 24, 1947), commonly known as Fred Bradley, was a politician from the U.S. state of Michigan.

Bradley was born in Chicago and moved to Rogers City, Michigan, in 1910 where he attended the public schools, graduating from Rogers City High School. He attended Montclair Academy in Montclair, New Jersey and served in the Student Army Training Corps at Plattsburgh, New York, in 1918. He graduated from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, in 1921 and worked as a salesman with the Michigan Limestone and Chemical Company in Buffalo, New York from 1921 to 1923, and as purchasing agent from 1928 to 1938. He was also a purchasing agent with Bradley Transportation Company in Rogers City, Michigan from 1924 to 1938.

In 1938, Bradley defeated incumbent Democratic U.S. Representative John Luecke to be elected as a Republican from Michigan's 11th congressional district to the 76th Congress. He was subsequently re-elected to the four succeeding Congresses, serving from January 3, 1939, until his death at New London, Connecticut, while there as a member of the Board of Visitors to the United States Coast Guard Academy. He was also chairman of the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries in the 80th Congress.

Bradley was forty-nine years old when he died and is interred at Rogers City Memorial Park"

The locations hold up as Rogers City, MI is right down the road from Indain River. I couldn't really find anything on the Vivio's.

maybe next time you visit to ask about the K98 bayoacquisition if there are any Old family members left. That might shed some light on why they are there. Im trying to see a connection between a Italian Restaurant..and these bayos. The only thing that comes to mind..is someone brought them back and was given to them as a trophy? Im just romanticizing the thought. It would be cool to hear from the owners. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I was wondering how I might acquisition them fromt he current owners. After examining my own K98, there is a slot underneath the guard. I originally thought whomever hung them there in the restaurant drove a nail / screw through the handle. Looks like they may have used this slot instead, so they may be in good condition all things considered...

On a more serious note, the original owners name has "Van Ness" in it. Beyond the fact that he was also apparently on a board for merchant marines. Could have come back on a merchant marine vessel of some sort. Who knows.

Van Ness sounds Norwegian..and would be best if one of our Northern European brothers reading this could comment on the history of being in that Area. Ask the restaurant owners what the significance is with the Bayos...and then make them an offer. ....tell them a story..like oh whats these nasty knives doing in a great restaurant like this? Larry